Menu
Dali - worth visiting
Oct 28, 2009 20:11
  • AGAPANTHA
Hi,

My husband and I (33 and 34 years old) are going to be in Yunnan in late Dec. Our current plan is:
- 2 days in Yuanyang,
- then get a bus to Kunming,
- then travel on to Lijiang for a few days.

We will be there for New Year's Eve and want to celebrate. Is Lijiang a good place to celebrate NYE? Or would you recommend Dali? Is Dali worth visiting? I've read that it's VERY touristy. We don't mind the party atmosphere in moderation! At the moment I've allowed 4 days for Lijiang. Would you break it up and spend 2 in Dali and 2 in Lijiang?

Also, is it too cold and impossible to hike the Tiger Leaping Gorge in late Dec?

Any advice appreciated!

Oct 28, 2009 22:23
  • SYOUNG108
We were in Lijiang and Tiger Leaping Gorge in May 2009. The old city of Lijiang is the place to stay. There is one street there which is 'bar street'. Lots of clubs and partiers, it was fun in May. Most of the town was quiet and laid back, although there were lots of tourists flocking around.
Average temps at NYE are around freezing. That might reduce the tourist flow then. Even in May, with great weather, the places weren't totally packed.
Re: Tiger Leaping Gorge
I would contact Sean gmail.com|tibetdragon2001
Tel:86 (0)887 820 2222 . Mobile: 0 158 9436 7846 /139 8874 5942. He's the man in the area to talk to about conditions and other questions for that time of the year.
Good luck!

Oct 28, 2009 22:39
  • AGAPANTHA
Thank you!
Oct 28, 2009 23:50
  • BOBERT
Lijiang is very touristy and glitzy. Chinese tourists love it. Very little of it is original or natural. It's quite comfortable with plenty to see, but totally false. However, nearby Jade Mountain is well worth a visit.

Dali and it's surronds are less touristy and more suited to what most western travellers want. Of course it's not an authentic Chinese village either but it's friendly and relaxed. The town is small but enjoyable and there are plenty of natural sights close by to visit.

It really depends on your own personality.
Oct 29, 2009 00:09
  • BOBERT
P.S. If you like this type of place then Dali is for you.

http://higherland.com/htm/bulletboard.htm

If not, then stick to Lijiang.
Oct 29, 2009 02:06
  • DAVEC
Dali is less touristy than Lijiang and the streets have variety, I preferred it
Oct 29, 2009 10:38
GUESTAZIZ
Hi, i am aziz from pakistan, you are lucky because i had visited china more time but i can not see Yunan.
Oct 30, 2009 10:50
  • SYOUNG108
'Glitzy' might be a bit extreme in terms of description. Shenzhen, Shanghai, and Hong Kong are glitzy. Lijiang is merely touristy with tons of shops. The ethnic Naxi there are not totally false. Neither are the Tibetans and other Chinese that I met there. They are real people who have a lineage that stretches back generations. If you want a more natural experience, hike along Tiger Leaping Gorge.
Oct 30, 2009 14:56
  • BOBERT
Point taken SYOUNG. Contrived might have been a better adjective than "glitzy". It's certainly not Las Vegas but it's not Yellowstone Park either. I thought the nightly bonfire dancing would have been better suited to Disneyland, but I confess it was still colourful and entertaining. The candle lit paper boats floating down the artificial canals and the endless trinket shops only added to the surreal atmosphere. I agree the ethnic Naxi are not TOTALLY false. However they are becoming well educated in the benefits of relieving tourists of their money as opposed to more meaningful employment. They are not in the same league as India yet, but they are learning fast. To be honest I found that a bit sad.

I felt slightly uncomfortable and embarrassed in Lijiang, much as I do when visiting a zoo. The ubiquitous Chinese tour groups with their flags and matching T shirts didn't help my melancholy. They are incongruous and inexplicable, but that's China.
Oct 31, 2009 10:10
  • SYOUNG108
Well said, BOBERT. It is definitely China....inherently enigmatic and incongruously inexplicable while appearing completely superficial.
Oct 31, 2009 15:15
  • BOBERT
"inherently enigmatic and incongruously inexplicable while appearing completely superficial." Perfect! That's exctly what I wanted to say. Thanks SYOUNG. I will try to remember that.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Dali - worth visiting
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code