Menu
What a brave thief!
Nov 26, 2009 04:23
  • DODGER
“I have no compassion to the criminals“
So you classify this petty thief in the same category as a murderer Cherry?
I realize that China ethics are not based on Judeo-Christian principals, but surly compassion is just confined to the west?
I agree with Bob’s summary.
Cheers, Dodger.

Nov 28, 2009 14:20
  • MARRIE
This is a minor misbehaviour that doesn't deserve death penalty. The death is an accident whereby, as Bob said, he is out of mental balance while being discovered and chased after. In this sense, it's a tragedy that life is lost that way. Dodger, from my understanding, Chinese informal cultures/ethics are not based on the ones that worship power/strength, nor is it based on compassion. We ourselves are positively questioning our views of values.
Last edited by MARRIE: Nov 28, 2009 14:22
Nov 29, 2009 20:38
  • CHERRY07
Quote:

Originally Posted by BOBERT

If someone killed my family of course I would not be sympathetic, I would seek revenge. Unless of course if that person was insane, then I would seek protection for him and his potential victims.

Bobert, sometimes it is easier said than done. As you said, it is hypothetical. If it really happens, we don't know we will do like we said before.

"Your question is hypothetical and irrelevant. The person we are talking about tried to steal an electric bike,nothing more. The only person he physically harmed was himself."

We just knew he stole an electric bike according to the news. As Gaffer said, he might have committed some serious crimes.
Nov 29, 2009 21:52
  • BOBERT
Quote:

Originally Posted by CHERRY07

We just knew he stole an electric bike according to the news. As Gaffer said, he might have committed some serious crimes.

So we should not have compassion for any petty thief because they "might have committed some serious crimes". Then perhaps we should execute jaywalkers and tax avoiders as well, because according to your logic, they might have also "committed some serious crimes'

Gaffer actually didn't say "he might have committed some serious crimes". He said "Perhaps he needed to steal the bicycle to escape an even more serious crime." I could be wrong, but I think you'll find Gaffer was joking CHERRY07.
Last edited by BOBERT: Nov 29, 2009 21:54
Nov 30, 2009 20:54
  • CHERRY07
I apologize for what I said before. I used google to search more info about him. He didn't commit serious crimes but he had stolen electric bikes in that area many times. The police already knew who he was and asked the security men for help. Finally, he was caught. But I still couldn't understand why he killed himself.
Nov 30, 2009 21:36
  • BOBERT
Maybe he was terrified of what might happen to him. Maybe he was so scared that even death was a better option.
Nov 30, 2009 21:58
  • MARRIE
Killing himself is an accident out of mental disorder. A nonprofessional killer won't kill unless he/she is out of control or brain is malfunctioning all of a sudden.
Dec 1, 2009 21:05
  • JIMMYB
Quote:

Originally Posted by BOBERT

Maybe he was terrified of what might happen to him. Maybe he was so scared that even death was a better option.

In this sense, the public should be responsible for the thief's death. They indirectly killed the thief. So should they be punished?
Dec 1, 2009 21:08
  • BOBERT
I agree with you JIMMYB. Of course it would be difficult to punish so many people but they should be educated about mental disorders so it never happens again.
Page 2 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: What a brave thief!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code