Menu
HELP !!!!
Dec 5, 2009 15:28
  • DAVEC
I have a problem, our marriage will be in China next year. We dont exactly know fully what we want to do, looks like register then go to her hometown for big meals and reception. On from there for 2 weeks of travelling and honeymoon later in the year.

She has 3 sisters and they have agreed to do everything for us, we just need to arrive at the town and its all sorted.

Now, I dont know what they are planning or arranging, have no idea really what the wedding will involve in China. UK wedding I know all about being a photographer and being at hundreds.

So, I need to find out what they will do, discuss with my lady if its what we want and somehow try to relay that to her relatives while still saving face.
How can I do this?
Dec 7, 2009 03:42
  • HERBEAT
Hey Davec, if you want to know what they will do, why don't you ask them? i think it's completely ok to ask and it might be the easiest way...
Dec 8, 2009 01:25
  • JIMMYB
Asking them directly is th easiest way. Also, you can ask your wife to figure out what they are preparing for your wedding. Dave, don't be nervous. I am sure that they will not make fun of you since you are not a Chinese. But try to know something about the wedding customs in your wife's area. Then you can make preparations in advance.
Dec 8, 2009 14:26
  • DAVEC
I can only ask my lady and then get her to ask sister, but she doesnt want to do that for fear of offending her.
At the moment I know nothing, what do I wear, do I need to take anything? do I need to do anything? or just turn up and smile
Dec 8, 2009 23:17
  • DODGER
Dave, you will be expected to make a speech, and a big one too.
Anyone on the guest list speak decent English?
If not you’ve still got time to start practicing you Chinese..ha.
Dress code: is it going to be a .western style wedding or a Chinese wedding?
What’s the Bride going to be wearing?
I just turned up as my Wife made all of the arrangement, including the clobber.
What she didn’t warn me about was the speech bit.
I was ushered up on stage and a microphone was thrust into my tiny sweating hand.
Did I feel like a complete dickhead.
Cheers, Dodger.
Dec 8, 2009 23:26
  • HERBEAT
I guess it's impossible for every guest to speak English so get practice^-^
But I also guess the guests would accept anything and give you greetings since it's your day!
Just relax and enjoy what will happen^-^
Cheers, Yolanda
Dec 9, 2009 00:37
  • DAVEC
Thanks Dodger, now I fell 10 times worse, I hate being the centre of attention.
She has small family and I wont have anyone there I know, so hopefully just big meal and thats about it
Dec 9, 2009 01:37
Dodger has explained very well. I think that the speech might not be avoided. As a matter of fact, you needn't worry a lot. Your wife can be your interpreter. But if you can say something in Chinese, I am sure the guests will feel very happy. At least, you have to learn how to say "I love you" in Chinese. Say "Wo Ai Ni" at your wedding ceremony, your wife will be surely moved.

Dave, you have to be the center of attention on your wedding day because your wife and you are the leading roles. Better prepare a speech since now.
Dec 9, 2009 04:43
  • DODGER
Dave, I actually enjoy hearing the roar of the crowd, but that’s another story…
What I forgot to add was that you need to practice your singing. The Mei Gui song will knock em dead. There’s bound to be a karaoke session!!
Dress; I would suggest a traditional Chinese jacket, with a white shirt with Chinese collar and cuffs along with some dress pants. Finished off with black patent leather shoes.
Have you thought about rings?
I don’t think the exchanging of rings and wearing of rings is that important here, but I do think it would be nice to bring a little of your culture the celebration.
Dodger.

Dec 9, 2009 05:05
  • HERBEAT
I don't quite agree with you Dodger. In fact almost every wedding ceremony is different even if they are in the city. Different family have different traditions. And it's Dave's wedding day so why make him so worried? As a Chinese, I think anything would be acceptable, especially when wedding. What Dave needs to do is to be friendly to the members who join in the ceremony and show his wife his love. That's all. About the dressing, I think the most important thing would be suitable. Anythings would be accepted as long as it fits the one who wears and the season. Well, to be a bit former is preferred though...
Dec 9, 2009 05:17
  • DODGER
Yolanda, I was joking with the singing. Dave would have known that other blokes deliberately try to make the groom nervous.
I still think a couple of verses from the Mei Gui song would bring the house down..
Dodger.

Page 1 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: HELP !!!!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code