Menu
Should China abolish the death penalty?
Dec 30, 2009 02:16
  • JIMMYB
Voting without time limit
Exclusive Vote
  1. 18 vote(s)
  2. 29 vote(s)
Note: Guest voter(s) are not displayed here.
According to China Daily, Akmal Shaikh, a British national who was convicted of smuggling drugs into China, was executed by lethal injection on Tuesday in Urumqi after approval from China's Supreme People's Court (SPC).

Akmal Shaikh was caught carrying up to 4,030 grams of heroin at the international airport of Urumqi in northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous from Dushanbe, capital of Tajikstan, on the morning of Sept. 12, 2007.

Acording to China's Criminal Law, those who carry more than 50 grams of heroin will be sentenced to death. Oct. 29, 2008, he was sentenced to death by the Intermediate People's Court of Urumqi.

This case has drawn much attention. Now people are debating whether China should abolish the death penalty.

How do you view death penalty in China? Should China abolish the death penalty?
Dec 30, 2009 10:39
  • GRIZ326
China's country - China's rules; violate the rules and pay the price.

Look at the countries trying to tell China how to this or that should be done; which one of those countries is perfect? Not one of those countries could equal the economic and social progress made by China since my first visit 30+ years ago. Listen to those national windbags and China will become mired in Western disorder and discord.

Some argue that the death penalty does not deter crime. They are wrong: the person who commits the crime will never do it again. I can testify that several evil people are still breathing because I did not want to go to prison (and I did not want to shame my family) - so punishment does deter some crime if I am typical.

Some argue that innocent people will be executed. That's a fact, we are human and to err is human. Government is tasked with protecting the well being of the human herd; execution is an effective and necessary tool in performing its duties. Frankly speaking, I think we should greatly expand the use of the death penalty in the US. We've become a breeding ground for sewer rats and rabid bats; the corruption goes all the way to the top levels of government and those evil people in high places should get the same penalty as the evil sewer rats.

This recently executed criminal was not railroaded; he was not lynched; he was processed according to Chinese law. He was afforded due process, just not UK due process where they make excuses for all sorts of bad behaviors.
Jan 2, 2010 05:21
  • DAVEC
There is a lot of uproar here in England because you killed one of our people. Here they are pampered in a jail for the rest of their life or released to do crimes again.

I would like the death penalty here for some crimes, especially rape or child abusers.

The defence for the guy was that he has mental illness, it is said he has bipolar, correct me if I am wrong but the makes people manic, happy or sad not stupid. If someone says to you 'here, take 4kg of drugs into China for me' then you know what you are doing.
Of course if it was planted on him or put in his suitcase thats different, it could happen to me that way I suppose or anyone.

Griz is right though, it is your country and your rules, you dont tell us what to do, nor should we interfere in your country.
Jan 3, 2010 21:52
Well, I suggest that you should read English and Chinese reports about Akmal Shaikh at the same time. Then you will learn something from the reports. He committed a serious crime in China so that he should be sentenced according to Chinese laws.

I also strongly suggest that China should never abolish the death penalty. In contrast, China should make strict laws to combat the crimes just like Singapore. For example, when dealing with corruption issues, it is not enough to expel those corrupted offcials from the Party. They should be punished more seriously. If necessary, death penalty should be implemented.
Jan 4, 2010 11:48
  • SHESGOTTOBE
I don't think death penalty needs to be abolished. It serves a purpose. Where I came from, we do summary execution style, including the whole family so their seeds/genes/tribe will not propagate.

It's not like the world is underpopulated anyway.
Jan 4, 2010 11:54
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Quote:

Originally Posted by DAVEC

it is your country and your rules, you dont tell us what to do, nor should we interfere in your country.

This philosophy is good, that's why it gets kinda tricky when we condemn China for mass abortion or Islamic countries for their practice of death by stoning, etc. etc.

Their country. Their rules.
Jan 6, 2010 01:33
Many people talk in one way and act in another. The philosophy is good but how many people can stick to it?
Jan 12, 2010 01:56
  • KEVIN0518
Definitely not. The death penalty has threatened the public not to commit serious crimes. Otherwise, they will lose their lives for the crimes they have committed. If death penalty was abolished, people will have no fear. The crime rate will increase.

I am with Lonely. We need to punish the criminals more seriously to let them remember that they should not commit crimes.
Jan 12, 2010 21:06
  • CHERRY07
So far, 10 people voted for "No" and only 1 voted for "Yes". I have a question here: Who are all those people who voted for No, Chinese?
Jan 19, 2010 20:40
  • LARRYBOY
Death penalty should remain in place! Criminals learn nothing by just smacking their hand, and saying "dont do it again!
Jan 20, 2010 00:37
  • DODGER
Would anybody on this forum volunteer to be an executioner?
Legally murdering somebody is barbaric, inhuman and does not act as a deterrent.
I have not voted as I am a foreigner and have no say here but neither……….
Dodger.
Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Should China abolish the death penalty?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code