Menu
Why is Avatar so popular in China?
Jan 12, 2010 01:18
Landing in mainland of China on January 4, James Cameron’s Avatar has received high praise from Chinese movie fans, critics and filmmakers. Just five days after its opening, the box office receipts have exceeded 26 million yuan across China. At the same time, the tickets price have skyrocketed. The ticket price already is at 200 yuan in Shanghai, and selling for 430 yuan in Dongguan, Guangdong province.

Although the ticket prices are very high, some Chinese audience have been said to travel between cities find an IMAX cinema to watch Avatar. In Shanghai, a mom waited for a whole night at the cinema to buy a ticket for his son. Some people even joked that it was harder to buy a Avatar ticket than a train ticket during the Spring Festival transport period.

It is said that the ticket price for an IMAX Avatar ticket has been raised to 800 yuan. An English blog owner wrote that the Avatar ticket in China is the most expensive in the world. Are Chinese movie fans crazy?

The movie fans waiting outside the cinema to buy the tickets for Avatar.

Jan 12, 2010 01:48
  • KEVIN0518
800 for a moive ticket? I am not that rich. So I can't afford to watch this movie. As for the reason, I think that it is because there are not many IMAX cinemas in China. It is said that only Beijng, Shanghai, Wuhan, Changchun and some other big cities in China have had IMAX screens. If there are more IMAX cinemas in China, I think that the ticket prices will be so expensive.
Jan 15, 2010 01:44
  • MANNY
I also want to watch this movie but the ticket is too expensive. James Cameron was a great director. The Titanic was directed by him. That's why I want to watch Avatar.
Jan 19, 2010 00:25
  • KEVIN0518
Well, it is said that Avatar (2D version) will be stopped being shown in the cinema from Jan 22. However, you can still watch 3D and IMAX versions in the cinemas. By the way, the global box office has exceeded 1.6 billion dollars. It is very likely that Avatar will exceed Titanic to be the top box office movie in the world.

PS: Titanic has earned more than 1.8 billion dollars in all.
Feb 6, 2010 03:24
  • BBQQ
I watched twice. For the first time, my friend and I were cheated by that cinema. The cinema said that it was 3D Avatar but it wasn't actually. Then we decided to watch real 3D Avatar. We went to a big cinema and watched 3D Avatar. Really fantastic. And I also watched a short subject about Avatar. Then I understood that none of those Chinese directors could direct such a great movie.
Feb 23, 2010 21:33
Fantastic video and audio effect is the main reason for me to watch it. And it's 3D version also make people enjoy it much better than 2D.

But the ticket that sold 800 is too expencive. That ticket is iMAX theatre, which means much higher cost than normal 3D. The price that I watch 3D is 100.
Post a Reply to: Why is Avatar so popular in China?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code