Menu
How to meet people in china
Jan 20, 2010 10:04
  • BWINKS
Hello!

I am a college student from Michigan, US... I will in at Tongji University (in Shanghai) for most of 5 months as a foreign exchange student. While in china, i am really hoping to experience the chinese culture and make as many friends as possible.

Does anyone have any advice on places to go to meet people? (Besides coffee shops, since that apparently costs $10 a cup or something bazar like that)

thanks!
Jan 23, 2010 19:41
  • BOBERT
Walk out the door and open you eyes. There are 1.3 billion Chinese so it shouldn't be too difficult.
Jan 24, 2010 08:29
  • HERBEAT
And also lots of people from other countries... But as Bob said, the only two things to meet your needs - Be outside & Make sure that your eyes are open^-^
BTW- coffee in Coffee shops doesn't cost so much in Shanghai. You could get a cup around 30 RMB, which is around 5 USD or something...
In your school there will be lots of Chinese.
One advice, if you want to make friends with Chinese, you might want to go to the class a bit often. Otherwise you would spend the whole time with English-speaking friends in bars and parties...
Oh, another advice... You could make more Chinese friends if you could speak Chinese. Or you could get some language exchange or the ones who want to practice their oral English with you..
Jan 24, 2010 09:16
  • LIONPOWER
Last one is good. Adding another --- Make an account in QQ.
Jan 24, 2010 15:10
  • BOBERT
I have always found Chinese people to be amongst the friendliest on earth, If you stand still and look bewildered for more than a few minutes, someone will invariably come to your aid. From there it's easy to strike up a conversation and a friendship usually follows.
Jan 24, 2010 18:29
  • BWINKS
hahaha. awesome!

thanks for all the ideas u guys!
Jan 25, 2010 10:14
  • LIONPOWER
Bu ke qi
Jan 25, 2010 11:15
  • WANHU
Herbeat, no wonder Ellyse said freshly ground coffee at RMB8 is very cheap... when you said RMB30 a cup is not expensive.
Wan
Jan 26, 2010 09:29
  • HERBEAT
Well... a coffee in starbucks normally costs around 20+ RMB... There're cheap coffee here but somehow I'm not quite sure of the quality... Some other coffee shops have a higher prize... Anyway, you could spend 1 RMB to get some coffee bag and then make it at home...
Feb 2, 2010 13:38
GUEST18157 so what are you studying for
Feb 5, 2010 08:10
  • LOVEAVRIL
Well,I'm a Chinese,I think you'd better get a QQ number
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: How to meet people in china
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code