Menu
Looking for my father's relatives of Lew Wing Gue or Liu Ying-Gui from Guangzhou area
Feb 20, 2010 22:20
  • LMURAK
Want to find my half brother and relatives. My father was Lew Wing Gue, new version is Liu Ying-Gui, born 1895 in Sing Ning, Hong Hao. His father was Lew Hock Tan (died 1916) and mother was Lee She, they lived in Hong Hao. He came to America in 1910, he was the only child. He married Leung See on June 15,1913 in Sing Ning, Hong Hao. They had a son, Lew Fa Gue in 1912. I want to find Lew Fa Gue and his descendents. Any help will be appreciated, I am half chinese and half american. Thank you, Linda

Feb 23, 2010 18:38
  • ELLYSE
I think the name in pinyin is Liu Ronggui, not Liu Yinggui?
Feb 23, 2010 18:57
GUEST36104 Thank you for your comment. We only have the old version of his name (Lew Wing Gue) and some one gave the newer version. What is Ping? A dialect?
Feb 23, 2010 19:00
  • LMURAK
What is pinyin? A dialect? We only have the old old version, Lew Wing Gue, and someone else said that the current version is Liu Ying-Gui. Do you know where Sing Ning Hong Hao is located?
Feb 23, 2010 20:28
  • ELLYSE
Pinyin is the romanised form of Mandarin Chinese. It's not a dialect! (And actually, you could've Googled for the answer.)
I can't answer any of your other questions, sorry. But I read the photo you posted and the Chinese characters for his name would be pronounced as Liu Ronggui, unless he changed his name sometime.
"Old old version" --> more correct to call it the dialect version, approximated to Wade-Giles romanisation.
Feb 23, 2010 20:46
  • FELIXCHAU
hi, linda. mainland china was under the lead of kuomintang (who now governs taiwan) before 1949, so the spelling of chinese charater in english has been changed since 1949. (i am not sure if you can understand what i am saying, let me have an example for you. the chinese name of your father's relative is clear and unique to us, as his signature in chinese is legible. however, his signature in english was signed as Lew Wing Gue, which i believe it was the spelling before 1949, while it should be Liu Rong Gui in nowaday china. Further, with the same reason, i am afraid i cannt tell where 'Sing Ning Hong Hao' is now, but according to the pronunciation, i assume it may be the 'Xing Ning City' of Guangdong.

if you need further help, pls feel free to post here.
Feb 23, 2010 22:12
GUEST36104 Thank you for your help. I appreciate any information that is provided. I am not wise enough to know what can be Googled, but will keep this in mind and try it in the future.

Best Regards and many thanks, Linda
Feb 23, 2010 22:29
  • LMURAK
Thank you Sir, for taking the time to try and explain some very important history to me. My father died in 1953, and we had no contact with Chinese culture or relatives. It is hard to try and figure this out alone. We are aware that many Chinese immigrated to the USA as what is termed 'Paper Sons', and we discovered that our father used about 5 different names here, from his immigration papers obtained from the INS when he underwent interrogation because of the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882. I will post a few of the papers in case it may help us to find out about our family in China.

Feb 23, 2010 22:37
  • LMURAK
This is the envelope to the old letter written to my father from his father.

Feb 23, 2010 22:40
  • LMURAK
Interrogate page 1 of 5 by INS in 1921, giving family information.

Feb 23, 2010 22:41
  • LMURAK
Interrogate page 2 of 5 by INS in 1921, giving family information.

Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Looking for my father's relatives of Lew Wing Gue or Liu Ying-Gui from Guangzhou area
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code