Menu
Hi, come on, wat do u think of women's status in today's China?
Mar 8, 2005 14:15
  • MERMAID
Hi, friends, what do you think of women's status in today's China?
My opinion is that in cities, women enjoy as much as if not more rights than men. In family life, wife seems to dominate. Chinese girls today are more outward than boys.
Anyone wants to share with me?
What impresses you most concerning this topic when you travel in China?
Mar 8, 2005 14:39
  • COLLINS
It is really a good question on today-Women's Day, which has become an international festival celeberated throughout the whole world since 1975.

In China, women can also enjoy equal rights with men. What impressed me most is women can be independent, not only live depending on their father, husbands any more.
Mar 8, 2005 14:42
  • MERMAID
Do you think this is partly responsible for the rising devorce rate in China?
Mar 8, 2005 14:52
  • FRANKENSTEIN
Of course,the status of Chinese women is not very optimistic,especially in some out-of-the-way villages.Compared with the old society,the women's status has acquired a lot of rights in most cities of china.

i think the historical factors work this complexion. Thousand years passed,the ideology under the feudalization is inveterate.Maybe u will ask :"hey,buddy,what era is it now?"but i have to say Chinese ideology needs a long time to change ,evolve to the advanced direction

in my opinion,1)i 'm not for androcentrism at all.2)i agree the female should get the rights that they deserve to get.
3)why did the God make Adam and Eve? why didn't he just make a man or a woman?

Mar 8, 2005 15:09
  • MERMAID
God created Adam first and HE created Eva to help Adam,not to dominate over him. And it was Adam's responsibility to love her as his bone of bones, flesh of fleshes.
But it is not uncommon to read in newspaper about violence and abusement in family.
Mar 8, 2005 18:09
  • COLLINS
Hi, Mermaid & Frankenstein
The increasing divorce rates in China get some specific reasons involved, maybe this can be one of them :-)

People in the rural areas, are poorer compared with those in cities. However we can not deny their changes, developments in spite of slow speed. Anyway, keep our good wishes for a better future 
Mar 8, 2005 19:18
  • ELCABRON
Hello all together,

Jesus, I guess the bible is not representative for any country with less than 1 percent of Christians (and by the way ecpecially the Roman Catholic Church did some huge mistakes in the past....)

Well, concerning equal rights in China, Mao once promised half of heaven to women. And today, at least in the cities to me it seems that women reached this goal.
But actually the one-child-policy is one of the main reasons for it because it lead to an overproportional number of men compared to women (117 to 100, following Chinese statistics). The huge lack of women is actually the main reason for emancipation. Women get more selfconfident and can choose a man, whereas the number of unmarried men rises.
This also leads to new problems like more prostitution and kidnapping with a kind of women trade. That this problem gets bigger is shown by the hotline for kidnapping of the Ministery of Public Security.

Oh, I want to tell you of one bad example. I was in a bar in a major Chinese city when I heard some screaming in the rear of this place. When I looked up I saw a man beating up his girlfriend (thats what people said afterwards). He crashed a complete teapot on the head of this girl - and not one single person made a move or said a word to stop it. There were five gentlemen sitting right on the neighbour table as if nothing has happened....To me people said dont look at them, its not your business.

So there is still some way to go, but I dont say its only a Chinese problem. And there is no paradise on earth yet, so every country or culture got its problems.
Mermaid you asked for it and this was my impression.
Mar 9, 2005 02:25
  • STACYHUNTER
Mermaid,

I thought your question and the responses were very interesting. We are visiting China in April and I will be anxious to see how woman are treated. My husband and I are bringing our three teenage daughters. Should I have any concerns about their safety?

Could someone please explain the status about the one child per family "rule". Does it still exist? Was this just a suggestion at one time or is it done out of survival for the less fortunate Chinese family?
Mar 9, 2005 03:03
  • ELCABRON
Hi Stacy and family!

First of all dont worry about your security at all, China is a very secure country for travelling.
Second, there is a kind of positive discrimination towards foreigners, which means that Chinese people are very helpful especially towards laowais.

The one-child-policy is, using your own words, done out of the survival of the whole country. The rule is very successful to avoid an explosive overpopulation. Minorities (tribes like the Yao and so on...) are excluded and on the countryside the law is not that strict, but in urban areas it is very strict. Breaking the law leads to financial punishment.
But dont judge it from a western standpoint, where most countries have a negative population growth (like Germany and so on...), which means that if there would be no influx of foreigners, the population of these countries would shrink.
In China or India overpopulation would become a real problem. It is said that Indias population will overtake China in numbers in the near future, because they have no regulations about it. And that is a problem.
But of course every medal got two sides and from an ethical standpoint it is difficult to discuss.......
Mar 9, 2005 09:11
  • MERMAID
A true expert!
This one child policy is not that strict as you might think. There are many exceptions.Ethinc groups are one exception as you have mentioned.
And this policy may be changed after 2010.As most Chinese still hold the idea that childern should be responsible for their parents when they are getting old, this means a couple who are both the only child have to support another 4 parents besides themselves and maybe their children.

Mar 9, 2005 17:27
  • ELCABRON
Well, it is only that strict that couples who risc a second pregnancy get forced to do abortion or have to pay fines of several years of income.....

I guess this law wont be changed in the next one hundred years because the government sees no other choice.

Im sorry I know you hate me for this add!
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Hi, come on, wat do u think of women's status in today's China?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code