Menu
Which Chinese Visa do I need ?
Mar 22, 2010 06:46
  • ADAM128
I am a UK national, currently based in the UK, working for a US company.

I would like to live in China, but continue to work for my current company 'remotely'. Therefore I won't be able to apply for a Z visa because I won't be working for a Chinese company.

Which visa can I apply for to stay long-term in China?

Thanks.
Mar 23, 2010 04:01
  • SMILE1212
Hello

For my opinion that you can register a company in china and then you can ge t a 2 years visa ,as many foreigners in china ,they will register a company here and then solve their visa problem .

Mar 23, 2010 04:24
  • ADAM128
Do you know where I can find information about how to do this?
Mar 25, 2010 03:39
  • ZYC1998
I donot agree that registering a company is the best way to help you stay in china,you will be charged to pay many money for taxes.and it is not easy register a company in china, you have got Z visa and it is easy to be extended with multiple entries,it is only costs several thousand ,Z visa is ok as you are only a emloyee not the company owner.
Mar 25, 2010 05:05
  • ADAM128
I am not sure how I can obtain a Z visa if I will not be employed by a Chinese company.

Here are the documentation required for a Z visa - but I don't understand which I would fall under:

(3) Employment Approval Documents required:

(i) Applicants who come to China to take up employment as experts, scholars, teachers, managerial personnel and as personnel working in related state or local organizations should provide:

A) Confirmation Letter of Retaining Foreign Experts issued by the State Bureau of Foreign Experts (original);

B) Visa Notification issued by an authorized unit in China (original).

(ii)Foreign technical personnel who come to China for Offshore petroleum operations should provide:Letter of Invitation to Foreigners for Offshore Petroleum Operations in China issued by China National Offshore Oil Corporation (original);

(iii) Chief representative or representative of foreign offices resident in China should provide:

A) The registration certificate of resident representative office of foreign (regional) enterprises issued by related administrative department of industry and commerce; OR the approval document for the resident representative offices of foreign enterprises issued by related commercial departments.

B) Visa notification issued by an authorized unit in China (original).

(iv) Personnel who come to China to implement aid or technical cooperative projects should provide:

A) Bilateral or multilateral agreement between the Chinese Government and foreign government or international organization, for cooperation and exchange;

(v) Personnel who come to China for commercial performance should provide:

A) Approval document (also copy) issued by the Ministry of Culture or the Cultural Department of related province, autonomous region or municipality directly under the Central Government;

B) Visa notification issued by the Ministry of Culture or the foreign affairs office of related province, autonomous region and municipality directly under the Central Government.

(vi) Personnel other than those mentioned above should provide:

A) The Employment Permit for Foreigners issued by the Ministry of Human Resources and Social Security;

(vii) Accompanying family dependents of personnel working in China should provide related note, letter or visa notification issued by an authorized unit or documents proving their status as dependents.
Mar 25, 2010 10:30
  • JABAROOTOO
You can try to apply for a business, study or tourist visa. If you are planning on staying in China long term then you may wish to learn the language.

A student visa and 12/15 hours of classes each week is a pretty soft option to get a visa. Fees are less than US$200 per month and you get good long holidays during the summer and Spring Festival season.

Where are you considering living? You'll need to apply at a Uni that offers language programmes and there are plenty all over the country.

Good luck
Mar 25, 2010 10:50
  • ADAM128
Quote:

Originally Posted by JABAROOTOO

You can try to apply for a business, study or tourist visa. If you are planning on staying in China long term then you may wish to learn the language.

As stated in my original post, I will be working - but not for a company in China and I already know a reasonable amount of Chinese thanks.

My intention is to live in China long term, working for my US based company, so I'm trying to figure out what VISA I can apply for that will allow me to stay in China for a long time (years).
Mar 28, 2010 00:33
  • ZYC1998
if a foreign company want to set a office in china and have to register china government.if a foreigner want to work in china and have to apply Z visa,as you said you will work in company that based on US company not chinese conpamy,but the point is that the office is set in china and your working place is in china.so if you are only a employee not the company owner you have no choice,just one way that apply Z visa.
Z visa is not difficult to apply ,if you have BA degree ,two years working experience certificate ,take a medical test and your company is willing to provide some documents.it is no problem. it just costs several thousand.

Last edited by ZYC1998: Mar 28, 2010 00:36
Mar 28, 2010 03:23
  • ADAM128
The problem is I will not be working for an office in China. I will still be working for the office in US, but I want to work "remotely" from China.
There must be some way to do this.
Mar 29, 2010 04:33
  • LEMONCACTUS
Adam... have you lived in China before? You should know that the Chinese government don't make it easy for freelancers - and from their point of view there is absolutely no reason why it "must" be possible for you to do this.

Jabarootoo's options may not be very palatable to you, but until you actually get into China "legally" on one of those options, you'll have little chance of finding a dodgy visa agent who can give you what you want "illegally" - which, frankly, is the only way you are going to be able to do what you want to do!

If you can get to a big city, there are back-door agents who will charge you a lot of money, get their companies to sponsor you for work/business visas, so that you can stay here and not work here. But you need to get here legitimately first, make some contacts, and then see what happens.

LC
Last edited by LEMONCACTUS: Mar 29, 2010 04:35
Mar 29, 2010 04:38
  • LEMONCACTUS
NB: No (normal) foreigners can stay in China indefinitely... we are all subject to the visa cycle, which is usually a 6-month or annual event of renewing whatever visa you have, subject to your current situation,and the whim of the local PSB. Unless, of course, you are a millionaire and have a substantial contribution to make to the Chinese economy/government.
Last edited by LEMONCACTUS: Mar 29, 2010 04:39
Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Which Chinese Visa do I need ?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code