Menu
Is Michelle a good name?
Apr 2, 2010 02:58
  • HERBEAT
Hmm... my friend told me she just found herself a new English name and asked me whether it's a good one or not. I've no idea but want to here hence this thread....
So guys, do you think Michelle is a good name? I'd like to hear your voice.. Thanks in advance... And happy Easter
Apr 2, 2010 04:59
  • GAFFER
Michelle is actually a French name (with Hebrew origins?) and is the feminine form of Michel which is French for Michael. It means "like God" and became very popular in the 1970's following the Beatles record of the same name.
Apr 2, 2010 05:17
  • DODGER
HB, I’d need to see the face to be able to judge if the face matched the name or not.
Dodger.
Apr 2, 2010 06:17
GUEST73131Michelle...is a more unique name than most typical ones selected by Chinese woman Jane,Jade,Julie,Susan Sarah,Sun..etc It's a good choice...I would try it out for awhile and see how it goes.
Apr 2, 2010 08:07
  • HERBEAT
GAFFER, thank you for the information. I'll copy your words to her^-^
Apr 2, 2010 08:08
  • HERBEAT
Dodger, thank you for the offer - to judge whether it matches or not.. But hmm... I don't want to show her photo here in public, since I consider it as her private. So any suggestions? - if it's not too much to ask?
Apr 2, 2010 20:48
  • DODGER
HB, I was just being a bit cheeky, that’s all.
But as Gaffer has implied, people should perhaps look up the history and the meaning of a name before choosing one so as to better match the character of the individual.
Just my opinion though.
Cheers, Dodger
Apr 2, 2010 22:00
  • DOLLY
wow,it's so common about the name
Apr 3, 2010 11:19
  • HERBEAT
Quote:

Originally Posted by GUEST73131

Michelle...is a more unique name than most typical ones selected by Chinese woman Jane,Jade,Julie,Susan Sarah,Sun..etc It's a good choice...I would try it out for awhile and see how it goes.

Is Jade also common? I didn't know that... Well... my Chinese name has the meaning of jem^-^ Anyway, thanks for the comment...
Apr 3, 2010 11:25
  • HERBEAT
Quote:

Originally Posted by DODGER

HB, I was just being a bit cheeky, that’s all.
But as Gaffer has implied, people should perhaps look up the history and the meaning of a name before choosing one so as to better match the character of the individual.
Just my opinion though.
Cheers, Dodger

Hehe, Dodger, it's ok... But hmm... a name should match the character of the individual... I'm completely new to this... So would you mind to tell me the history and the meaning of Dodger? And maybe Bob and Yolanda? Thanks a lot...
Cheers, HB - I bet Bob would prefer to call me HE as herb eat... But I won't pay^-^
Apr 3, 2010 22:02
  • DODGER
HB, Dodger, or to give him his full title ‘The Artfully Dodger‘ is one of Charles Dickens’ characters from the novel ‘Oliver Twist’
He was a thief and pick pocket. He was eventually caught and sent to the penal colony of Australia, as I was.
It’s also rhyming slang for a lodger or someone called Roger.
Dickens described him as;
“He was a snub-nosed, flat-browed, common-faced boy enough; and as dirty a juvenile as one would wish to see; but he had about him all the airs and manners of a man. He was short of his age: with rather bow-legs, and little, sharp, ugly eyes. His hat was stuck on the top of his head so lightly, that it threatened to fall off every moment--and would have done so, very often, if the wearer had not had a knack of every now and then giving his head a sudden twitch, which brought it back to its old place again. He wore a man's coat, which reached nearly to his heels. He had turned the cuffs back, half-way up his arm, to get his hands out of the sleeves: apparently with the ultimate view of thrusting them into the pockets of his corduroy trousers; for there he kept them. He was, altogether, as roystering and swaggering a young gentleman as ever stood four feet six, or something less, in the bluchers.”
Sounds just like me.
Cheers, Dodger.
Page 1 of 6    < Previous Next >    Page: