Menu
Jilin University Medical Education & Changchun City
May 23, 2010 07:28
  • GODBLESSALL
Dear frens,
I am planning to come enroll in Jilin University School of Medicine. I am quiet excited and nervous as I have never left my home country.
I was that the Jilin Hospital courses are in English medium for post graduation and similarly mentioned about the University prospectus.
I have a few question regarding the University's Post graduates school and the Changchun City.
How is the University? the staffs and the people of the city.
What are the things which I need to bring from my home country? How is the cost of living in the City?
How is the life over there at the Changchun City? Can I buy laptop/movies camera etc. there for my personal usages and how much does it cost?
What are the do and don't in the Changchun or China as a whole.

Thanks
May 26, 2010 19:38
  • ELLYSE
If you already have a useable laptop, just bring it.
Prices of electronic items are not necessarily competitive for the same items overseas, and they will not come with international warranty. Prices vary widely, so how on earth are we supposed to tell you how much they cost?
May 27, 2010 09:04
GUEST14696 Changchun is a good city but winter here is awful....
Jun 7, 2010 23:55
  • GODBLESSALL
Thank You ELLYSE and GUEST14696. Since I am new to China, I am not aware of anything about China. That's why I have asked about the City Changchun, Jilin University so on and so forth. ELLYSE I am not a businessman nor I intent to do business there. My only question was about the laptop whether it is cheap and reasonable.

What about the Changchun City? I got to know about the harsh winter and what are the places of interest, Shopping, transport system, mobile (cell) phone operator, internet etc etc. Hope for the inputs.
Jun 8, 2010 01:01
  • ELLYSE
"Cheap" and "reasonable" are relative concepts. They might not be much cheaper than where you come from (where??) and whatever's "cheap" might not be of good enough quality, so IMHO why bother?
Jun 8, 2010 04:32
  • GODBLESSALL
Well !! once more thanks for the inputs. I am aware that cheap, affordable, and reasonable are relative and abstract concepts. To be honest I am planning not to bring my laptop there. That's why I was curious and keen to know about the price. ELLYSE !! apparently, you seem to amongst the top contributor in this forum with so many points. But still what i feel that you are trying to make a long curve, instead of, straight forward path.

Where are lived the prices are stable but sometime volatile. Everything i guess can be bought with Made in China sticker. Even branded notebooks or laptops are made in China. I joined the forum because for some years, during the masters, I will be in China just like my home country. I found it tough to interact with people on the web because of language barrier. I do not know Chinese language, completely 0/100. My main purpose to join this forum was to get some overall idea of China esp. Jilin Province where I will be spending sometime for post-graduation.

Therefore, I am anticipating to get some pictures of China. Thanks.
Jun 8, 2010 08:22
  • ELLYSE
It might be easier if you quote some prices for certain models and ask how much those would cost in China, thereby getting a more useful comparison.
Yes, things might be "made in China" but they are for the foreign company that they're branded under, not for the domestic market. These products are then reimported into China with high taxes, so even though they're technically "made in China", they're not domestic brands and will be more expensive here. Now do you understand?
Look, I'm trying to make you give more details to help you. Not purposely make things difficult for you!
Jun 8, 2010 12:05
  • GODBLESSALL
I have not made any allegations or planning to do so. I believe you are right that the branded laptop are made in China. I didn't know that the same branded things are re-imported and sold at a high price. Talking about brands, i know all the famous brands which sold in USA and Asian. However, I am not aware of Chinese branded. Perhaps some company may be competitive and comparable in price. I need to buy once so why not a good Chinese brand. Ultimately I need to buy there only. I think we are going off-track on this forum.

One of the guests has said that winter is harsh and inclement in Changchun. That means that I have to bring winter clothing too from home or it can be brought from there. What about the summer? Do they have summer since I come from a place where summer is pleasant, but sometime hot. What are the other essential things I need to bring there which can be brought?

How's living standard? Is it costly like Beijing? What is average money need to be spent on meal (normal meal, of course, exotic dishes) and restaurants and transport? How about night life, leisure and other mode of entertainment?

Regarding Chinese language it seems very tough. Although courses are in English medium but still need to interact and communicate. How long will it take to proficient in Chinese if I study along or with a girl friend? Is there any specific website which can be helpful to learn Chinese? So many questions still wandering on my mind. Let it be for next time hopefully.

I shall appreciate for any comment. Thanks!!
Jun 8, 2010 21:30
  • ELLYSE
Yes, yours is a common misconception. Now that you understand, that's better! I would suggest that you try Lenovo brand. That's the brand that bought over IBM. I'm using a Lenovo laptop myself, it has worked well for about 5 years now, but I bought in Singapore so I wouldn't know its price here.
Yes, winter is commonly perhaps -15 degrees Celsius or so. Refer to http://weather.msn.com/monthly_averages.aspx?wealocations=wc:CHXX0010&q=Changchun%2c+CHN+forecast:averagesm for historical averages. I think you should be fine buying winter clothing here, unless you're extremely tall or fat. Are you male or female?!
Changchun is likely to be quite a bit cheaper than Beijing. Dishes tend to come in big portions so it would be good to have friends whom you could share with.
Sorry, can't answer any of your other questions.
Jun 8, 2010 22:18
  • GODBLESSALL
Thank you for your valuable ELLYSE. I really appreciate and grateful to your advise.
I will be happy and grateful if one who can give some other information on my above question.

Thanks to this forum.
Jun 8, 2010 22:45
  • ELLYSE
I freelance in the logistics field, so I'm somewhat aware of the extremely high costs that companies could afford to pay to transport components made in China, to their home companies in North America or Europe. It's pretty unbelievable unless you've seen it for yourself.
Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Jilin University Medical Education & Changchun City
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code