Menu
z-visa
Jul 2, 2010 21:51
guest95201 We are here in Beijing and presently on tourist visas but have teaching positions starting at the end of August. We were aware that we would have to leave the country to process the z-visa so were planning to go to Hong Kong. However we have just been told that we have to return to our home countries - Australia and New Zealand. Has anyone else heard of this? Is it necessary to go all the way back home?
Jul 4, 2010 02:40
  • NANCYMOON
No, you do not have to return to your country. firstly, you need apply a employment permit, when you get it, you need further get a work invitation letter, then apply for an empolyment card, at last get the residence permit in China for a year. If possible, find yourself a visa agency, they can change your L visa to Z visa.
Last edited by NANCYMOON: Jul 4, 2010 02:41
Jul 4, 2010 10:32
  • APAULT
For some time it has been possible 'in theory' to get a Z visa on the mainland. In practice, many PSB Exit and Entry Administration offices will not issue Z visas, so we typically head down to HK, not our home country.

Provided your employer is entitled to employ foreigners, they should organise all the paperwork. If they are not entitled to, you cannot easily get a Z visa. Please read the many threads on your options. As Nancy says, if you run into difficulty, you can use a visa agency... but make your employer pay or get a job elsewhere. Visa agencies are able to push harder to have visa issuing offices follow rules, utilise the many grey areas and indeed bend the rules.
Jul 4, 2010 21:13
GUEST99249 Thanks to Nancy Moon and APault for the information - I will now talk to my uni again and see what happens.
Jul 5, 2010 03:29
  • XIAOGUI
I will guaranttee you do not have to leave the country to get all the required paperwork for teaching in China.All you have to do is teach at the same college as me in Wenchang city on Hainan Island!
Jul 5, 2010 05:59
GUEST03183 Are you 100% sure that you can do the visa here in China - not even have to Hong Kong. We have heard because of the expo in Shanghai, things have just very recently tightened up.
Jul 5, 2010 23:21
  • XIAOGUI
If you have all the required paperwork...degree...tefl..letters of recommendation?...Yes I do..I have a college looking for 2 english teachers right now....email me ..hotmail.com|maybaby808
Jul 6, 2010 00:49
GUEST07255 Thanks very much for the offer but we have decided to stick to Plan A.
Jul 6, 2010 01:40
  • XIAOGUI
Ok...but Hainan is not -40 in the winter like Beijing...Brrrrrrrrr...!..and has some very beautiful beaches and a more relaxed environment with a cheaper cost of living and easier access to HK.The fall semester starts soon!
Jul 9, 2010 18:01
  • APAULT
You cannot be sure of getting Z visas on the mainland but I think you should be OK in HK. Yes the Shanghai Expo and the Asian Games in Guangzhou are causing the rules to be tightened, but for genuine Z visa applicants, you should not be too affected. But we can never be sure!
Jul 9, 2010 21:20
GUEST96195 Well it's all set in stone - according to the university we will be working at, we definitely have to go home. So, being philosophical about it - plus they are subsidising part of the ticket, so somewhere in amongst it all, there must be a reason! Think our uni are very much 'by the book' which is good but also a tad frustrating when you know that others are just flying to Hong Kong for the same thing. Aah well, a bit of skiing in New Zealand will never go a-miss in August.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: z-visa
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code