Menu
Will you include her name on the property ownership certificate of your apartment?
Aug 17, 2010 21:43
  • SUNNYDREAM
Voting without time limit
Exclusive Vote
  1. 1 vote(s)
  2. 0 vote(s)
  3. 1 vote(s)
Note: Guest voter(s) are not displayed here.
I start this topic just because I read a post on a Chinese forum. A girl wrote: “I am going to marry my boyfriend. But I am very upset now. My boyfriend’s parents have paid more than 100,000 as the down payment for an apartment. Now my families and relatives suggest that I should require my boyfriend to include my name on the property ownership certificate of that apartment just in case he divorces me one day.

I listened to their suggestion and talked to my boyfriend. My boyfriend and his parents didn’t agree. He said his parents paid the down payment for the apartment and my family didn’t pay a cent. Why should he include my name on the property ownership certificate? He told that his parents wouldn’t agree even he wanted to do this.

To be honest, I am disappointed in him. I told him “If you really love me, you won’t care about this very much.” He said I was too selfish. His parents spent almost all their savings on the down payment for the apartment. Thus, they have the final say.

I am not selfish. I just feel unsafe. If he divorces me one day, I will get nothing. By the way, I earn much more money than him. I promise to marry him because he is honest. I didn’t realize that he was so smart.”

If you were the boy, would you agree to include her name on the property ownership certificate?
Last edited by SUNNYDREAM: Aug 17, 2010 21:43
Aug 17, 2010 21:48
  • SUNNYDREAM
PS: more than 200 people have posted their replies. Boys and girls hold opposite opinions. Most boys criticize the girl and some even encourage the boy not to marry the girl. Girls, of course, support her because they worry about the same thing.
Last edited by SUNNYDREAM: Aug 17, 2010 21:49
Aug 19, 2010 02:27
  • CHERRY07
I am a girl. I just want to say "Don't push your future husband into a dilemma". Buying an apartment is not like buying a TV or some other things. For ordinary families, they even can't afford to pay the first payment facing crazy housing prices in Chinese real estate market.

The girl said that she earned much more than his future husband. Then why doesn't she pay a certain part of the first payment? If she does, no one will object to adding her name on the property ownership certificate.
Aug 19, 2010 02:44
How about this? The boy just asks the girl "If you really love, why not let us pay the down payment together?"

You know why there are so many bachelors in China? They are single because they can't afford to buy an apartment. Girls are realistic. Many of them require their boyfriend to buy an apartment. Otherwise, she won't marry him. Well, the reaility is that most boys from ordinary families, especially from countryside, can't afford to buy an apartment.

Aug 19, 2010 03:13
  • BL2022
It's the phenomenon. To avoid this, my uncle and aunt bought an apartment for my cousin even though he does not have a GF yet. They said that by the time my cousin was going to get married, all the loan could be paid out and there was no reason to put the girl’s name on the certificate.

My aunt joked that the room rate was right jacked up by those to be mothers-in-law.
Aug 19, 2010 03:22
  • SUNNYDAY
Why? If I got divorced, I will leave all the things for the man, including the kid if got one and excluding my wage card and go to enjoy my single life.
Aug 21, 2010 22:42
Quote:

Originally Posted by SUNNYDAY

Why? If I got divorced, I will leave all the things for the man, including the kid if got one and excluding my wage card and go to enjoy my single life.

You are special, Sunday. You are very independent. I don't think that an apartment will make women feel secure. If he decides to leave you, he might give you the apartment. At that time, will you still think the apartment makes you feel secure?
Aug 22, 2010 04:07
  • DAPHNEB
Quote:

Originally Posted by SUNNYDAY

Smart women, but I don't believe you can let go your child.
Aug 22, 2010 04:14
GUESTBETTY
Quote:

Originally Posted by LONELYJOURNEY

If he decides to leave you, he might give you the apartment. At that time, will you still think the apartment makes you feel secure?

Interesting topic... How can I say,,,that is better, because I won't hug the romantic that is past, but not homeless at the end.
Aug 25, 2010 21:50
  • HELPER
Both sides need compromise. Maybe, they can include their kid's name on the certificate. Is this acceptable? Or such girls who have this purpose, just open their eyes at the beginning to find a guy who can be so "generous".

Actually, girls needn't worry about this too much. Whether he includes your name on that certificate is not important unless you two go Dutch after marriage. Most ordinary couples pay their apartment loan together after marriage. In this situation, you will get half of the property if you two get divorced one day.

Don’t let money issue destroy your marriage.
Aug 26, 2010 12:28
  • CARLOS
Perhaps some chinese guys would not like to live in Finland, hehe. I am selling our home just now. I bought it long before my lao po arrived here and I also have paid it. Nevertheless, because we are married I can't sell the house without her name on the contract too.

I have no problem with it. I think it is only fair that the law gives the other some security in life.

Anyway I think it will take a lot of trust to just give half to other because there is always the fear of divorce. I also think that it is not very nice to insist that.

Besides if she earns more than her husband, I think her future is quite secured without her husband too.

Carlos
Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Will you include her name on the property ownership certificate of your apartment?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code