Menu
Almond curd in syrup---my favorite!
Sep 1, 2010 04:38
In April, I went to Beijing for several days. I tasted a very delicious dish---almond curd in syrup in small but very famous restaurant.

It tasted a little bit bitter but very sweet. You may try it. It is called 杏仁豆腐 in Chinese.

Sep 1, 2010 16:06
  • DAVEC
I have made this myself or at least my version, very popular as a sweet dish when I invite friends for dinner
Sep 1, 2010 20:22
  • CHERRY07
Is it real Tofu? I can't tell from the picture.

Dave, if you are single, I am sure that a lot of Chinese girls will be interested in you. Many Chinese girls want their husbands to cook delicious food for them. You are such a guy who can cook dishes.
Sep 4, 2010 06:25
  • DAVEC
Sorry Cherry, they are all too late. I married a lovely Chinese lady this year.
She loves my cooking and I enjoy the cooking.

The dish I make is called almond tofu, there is no tofu involved. It is made from condensed milk and almond flavouring
Sep 5, 2010 03:11
Condensed milk? How to make it, Dave? Why not share us your recipe?

The one I tasted in Beijing was made of 凉粉. 凉粉 is made from starch. My mom can make 凉粉and I love it.

This is 凉粉.

Last edited by LONELYJOURNEY: Sep 5, 2010 03:12
Sep 5, 2010 03:13
This one looks better.

Sep 6, 2010 01:48
  • ELLIOTT
#5 looks delicious, I like it.
And I like 醋粉 very much. I heard that it is difficult to get except in Shanxi. I ate it once two years ago, and I don't know where i can buy it in Xian. Can you help me with it??
Sep 9, 2010 04:27
  • XIAOXIAO
Mouthwatering! Dave, would you mind telling me your secret recipe? I wanna give it a try. Liangfen (凉粉) looks nice too.
Sep 12, 2010 01:49
  • CHERRY07
Dave, your wife is very lucky to have you as her husband.

Xiaoiao, Dave might be busy making new dishes for his wife. Just wait for several days. He will appear, haha.
Sep 13, 2010 16:53
  • DAVEC
I am not making dishes for her yet, just preparing the house for when she finally arrives in UK. Just 1 month to go :)

Ok, almond tofu ...

2 tablespoons of powdered gelatin or similar.
1/3 cup of castor sugar
2 small spoons of almond flavouring or essence
1/2 can of condensed milk
1/2 cup of water

you will have to heat 1/2 cup of water in a saucepan and add the gelatin to dissolve.
meanwhile put 2 cups of water, the almond essence and the condensed milk into a bowl and then stir in the sugar, this time to dissolve the sugar.

next pour the hot water (and gelatin) into the bowl and stir all together. That is your mixture.

finally pour it into a flat dish that is about 1 inch deep and put into the fridge to go cold, at least 4 hours should do it.

when the mixture is set, it will look like a milky jelly. cut it into pieces and serve with fruit. I usually cut it into diamond shapes and have with lychees and mango. enjoy
Sep 13, 2010 20:02
  • CHERRY07
You will meet your wife very soon. Congratulations, Dave! Thanks for sharing your “secret recipe”. I will try it.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Almond curd in syrup---my favorite!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code