Menu
Which one is better?
Sep 6, 2010 22:20
  • BBQQ
Voting without time limit
Exclusive Vote
  1. 0 vote(s)
  2. 1 vote(s)
Note: Guest voter(s) are not displayed here.
Da Yan Ta (大雁塔) is a famous attraction in Xi’an. It is translated to “Big Wild Goose Pagoda”. But some guys think that “Big Wild Goose Pagoda” is not good. If you translate it into Chinese, it is “大野鹅塔”. It sounds very awful.

So here is another version “Dayan Pagoda”. Which one is better?

The Daminggong Palace National Heritage Park is being built in Xi’an. A guy finds out that “pork” is written on the sewer lids. The sewer lids maker must have mistaken “park” as “pork”.

Sep 7, 2010 23:08
  • KEVIN0518
Big WIld Goose Pagoda = 大野鹅塔? It is very funny. It is word-for-word translation.
Sep 8, 2010 01:15
  • GLOOMYSUNDAY
I prefer Dayan Pagoda, it is simple and reasonable since so many foreigners learning Chinese. English translation in tour site of China are not good anyway.
Sep 12, 2010 02:45
GUESTCHINESE If Big WIld Goose Pagoda has been accepted to all, there is no need to make a new one. Maybe, we can just use Pin Yin. THe bus and subway stations in Beijing are all written in Pin Yin. We have been learning English for years. Why not let foreigners learn some Chinese? It will be fun.
Oct 9, 2010 12:59
  • ATTA_BUTT
Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQQ View Post

Da Yan Ta (大雁塔) is a famous attraction in Xi’an. It is translated to “Big Wild Goose Pagoda”. But some guys think that “Big Wild Goose Pagoda” is not good. If you translate it into Chinese, it is “大野鹅塔”. It sounds very awful.

So here is another version “Dayan Pagoda”. Which one is better?

The Daminggong Palace National Heritage ...

I have no idea to learn Chinese which one is better, I don’t know, I am interested to know but how?
Oct 13, 2010 08:14
  • ARIESBUNNY
hehehe, interesting question....大(dà)雁(yàn)塔(tǎ) is the right answer.

In Chinese, 大(dà)雁(yàn), means wild goose [野(yě)鹅(é)]. In this phrase, 大(dà) does not mean big, but acts as a part of the phrase.

As you know , sometimes we just take the most important character out as the short form to stand for the longer phrase. For example here, when you see 雁(yàn), it equals 大(dà)雁(yàn). they mean the same with or without 大(dà).

Good, keep on explore and you will find the Chinese language is so amazing.
Oct 13, 2010 09:50
  • ATTA_BUTT
Can you make it easier for me?
Looking to you.
Thanks for your effort.
Oct 14, 2010 01:30
  • ARIESBUNNY
Quote:

Originally Posted by ATTA_BUTT

Can you make it easier for me?
Looking to you.
Thanks for your effort.

thanks for your interest.

We chinese people gave the name " da yan ta " to that pagoda . It is a proper noun. you dont have to do any translation.

For better understanding to foreigners, we might tell them that is the " da yan ta" , whose name means wild goose pagoda.

Did i make it easier?

Oct 15, 2010 01:16
  • ATTA_BUTT
Thanks ARIESBUNNY for your intention and reply, then can you suggest how I can start to learn Chinese.
Oct 15, 2010 07:10
  • ARIESBUNNY
Quote:

Originally Posted by ATTA_BUTT

Thanks ARIESBUNNY for your intention and reply, then can you suggest how I can start to learn Chinese.

From my point of view, Language learning always comes with trying to explore the culture.

To follow some good enough teacher is always the best choice.

What's a good teacher? Definitely not someone who can just speak both Chinese and English very well. Life teaches a lot. He/she must also have life experiences which help the teacher understand then deliver both the cultural knowledge and the reasons to you. Knowing is quite different from understanding.

Do you think so?

Oct 15, 2010 07:26
  • ARIESBUNNY
Atta,

It sounds like that you would love to learn about Chinese language?

Welcome to take part in my cultural and language knowledge sharing union...

Page 1 of 5    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Which one is better?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code