Menu
XO Sauce
Sep 22, 2010 12:08
  • JOEC10
I am looking for a recipe for XO sauce. It seems to me that a lot of the recipes on line are kind of bland. Can someone suggest something with lots of flavor?
Sep 25, 2010 02:55
XO Sauce? I just heard that XO is a kind of very expensive wine
Sep 25, 2010 10:38
  • DAVEC
If I order food with XO sauce in Uk it is spicy and usually expensive. I suppose each chef has his/her own version of it.
I will ask my local restaurant manager what they use
Sep 26, 2010 03:06
Quote:

Originally Posted by DAVEC

If I order food with XO sauce in Uk it is spicy and usually expensive. I suppose each chef has his/her own version of it.
I will ask my local restaurant manager what they use

Dave, what is XO sauce? I am curious. Seriously, it is not a kind of wine?
Sep 26, 2010 05:10
  • DAVEC
I have no idea what it is. Tastes a bit like a spicy version of sweet and sour sauce
Sep 26, 2010 14:34
  • DAVEC
I found a little on wikipedia, just for info....

It was developed in the 1980s in Hong Kong for Cantonese cuisine. The sauce is made of roughly chopped dried seafoods, such as scallop, dried fish and shrimp that has been cooked with chilli, onion, garlic and oil. Once a prestigious concoction confined to gourmet seafood restaurants, XO sauce can now be found as a pre-made product on grocery stores shelves, produced by Asian food companies like Lee Kum Kee, ANJI, and Amoy.
Sep 29, 2010 01:14
Thanks, Dave. I don't like spicy and sour food.
Nov 13, 2011 02:58
  • JOEC10
I found this recipe a while back. It is really very good and very simple. It is a good starting point for a using this wonderful flavoring. I added some spring onion to the basic recipe.

The flavor of XO Sauce is salty, sweet, briny and very rich--a little goes a long way. I've seen it in 2 versions, one mild and one quite spicy with chili. There are Thai and Chinese versions. I like the Lee Kum Kee brand the best. It is the most expensive, but the flavor is superior in my opinion.

Yes, it is expensive. I bought a jar of it in Chinatown in Yokohama in Sept for about 20 Euros. The LKK brand is not available here.
Nov 15, 2011 01:10
  • CHERRY07
20 euros? Well, you really have to come to China to buy some LKK XO sauce. A bottle (220 grams) costs around 80 rmb.
Post a Reply to: XO Sauce
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code