Menu
Why do Chinese eat shark fin soup?
Oct 17, 2010 10:00
  • POPULOUS
The consumption of shark fin soup is responsible for the slaughter of sharks all over the globe.

Sharks are vital elements of our marine ecosystems.

The population of sharks has declined by 90% over the last 50 years, mainly because of this practice.

Why do Chinese keep eating shark fin soup? Don't they care for the environment?
Oct 17, 2010 21:46
  • SUNNYDREAM
What about caviar? How is it made? Do we need to kill them?
Oct 18, 2010 11:30
  • DAVEC
There are many foods eaten in the world that will cause problems. It is human nature to consume whatever we can until it is too late.
In the UK we eat fish and chips, so much so that the cod fish is all but disappearing. Cant just blame 1 nation
Oct 18, 2010 20:30
  • MARRIE
I rarely hear Chinese around me taking Shark fin as medications. Chinese traditional medicine is just for those with Chronice disease on which western medication's drastic effects don't work.

Personally I don't much go with Chinese med coz it suck vitality from your physical body, make your skin look old and yellowish pale.

Last edited by MARRIE: Oct 18, 2010 20:32
Oct 18, 2010 21:22
  • XIAOXIAO
Shark fin is delicious but it is not good for people’s health. It is said that mercury has been found in the shark fin due to the ocean pollution. But why do people still eat shark fin? As you see, shark fin is very expensive. If you eat it, you must be very rich. Then people’s vanity will be fully satisfied.

Do you know how much sharks are hunted every year? At least 1 million. Humans are very cruel. When they get the sharks, they just cut their fins and then throw them into the sea. The sharks without fins can not survive and finally die. Or they will be eaten by other sharks.
Oct 18, 2010 21:47
  • XIAOXIAO
Chinese medicine is good. When I was about 1 year old, I was very sick. My parents sent me to the hospital. I was injected with cephaloridine. However, I didn’t get better even the cephaloridine was used up. Then my parents decided to take me away from the hospital. But the doctor didn’t allow my parents to bring me out of the hospital. My parents promised that they would take the responsibility if there was something wrong.

Then my parents brought me to an old herbalist doctor. He wrote a prescription to my parents and told them to buy Chinese herbal medicine according to his prescription. My parents did as the herbalist doctor told. I was cured after taking six doses. The Chinese herbal medicine just costs less than 5 RMB.

My parents told me that they almost lost me if they didn’t meet that old herbalist doctor. Till now, I still use Chinese herbal medicine when I am sick.

PS: It is my experience. I didn’t make up a story here.
Oct 19, 2010 22:19
  • CHERRY07
How many of you have eaten edible bird's nest? The edible bird's nest (燕窝) is a kind of tonic. It is as expensive as shark fin.
Oct 20, 2010 05:09
GUEST66162 FYI the number of sharks harvested by man each year is of the order of 100 million, with an estimated 73 million of them taken for their fins alone.

Also, those fish and chips in the UK often contain shark too these days. Since the crash in cod, other fish have become the mainstays including orange roughy and dogfish (a member of the shark family).

For anyone tuning into this discussion wanting to know more or how they can help to influence a change in our attitude towards sharks, take a look at www.hksharkfoundation.org or find the HK Shark Foundation on Facebook. We are working hard on this issue with the thinking that if we can make a difference here, in possibly the most important trading hub for sharks anywhere, then progress must be possible everywhere.

Regards

Steve W
HKSF
Mar 30, 2011 19:48
GUESTWEN To understand why Chinese eat shark fin soup, you must know three things about Chinese culture. First, Chinese are far more superstitious than most cultures today. They believe that a certain food will affect people in specific ways even when there is no scientific evidence for that belief. In this case, they believe that shark fin helps sexual potency. And that obsession with improving sexual potency is the second aspect of their culture. In China, they even have ' *** restaurants' in which they eat the penises of different animals in the futile hope that this will improve their performance in bed. The third cultural aspect that causes them to serve shark fin soup is the need to show off. The people of some cultures are quite modest about their financial status. Chinese are not one of those cultures. You have no doubt observed that Chinese love to show off with expensive cars, homes, jewelry, and branded clothing. Having lavish weddings where shark fin soup is served is part of that.

The good news is that there are enlightened Chinese, who are working to ban shark fin soup. Well, it won't turn the whole culture around, but it's a start.

The bad news is that the need to show off becomes worse and worse as a minority becomes wealthier in China. See: http://www.funzug.com/index.php/unusual-things/a-wedding-in-shanxi.html

You can be sure they served bowls of shark fin soup. And you can be sure their guests were suitably impressed. But you can also be sure it did nothing for them sexually.
Apr 6, 2011 17:11
GUEST86217 Sorry to say this, but your number is WAY off! We do not kill 1 million sharks a year, we kill 73-100 million sharks! It is absolutely disgusting.
May 15, 2011 23:36
GUESTKRYSTAL hi peeps wat u doin why do u eat shark fin soup why do u have to kill the poor big things they live in the sea and they u all eat it i know that they arnt good animals but why do u have to do that how about dont kill sharks 73-100 sharks only kill bout 30-50 why not
Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Why do Chinese eat shark fin soup?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code