Menu
Coldest Place and Activities in Mid-November?
Oct 31, 2010 00:40
  • XIAOHEI
Da jia hao wo de hao peng you / Hello my good friends!

1. Which would be the coldest place in China in November? (snow etc)
2. What activities can I do there?

Xie Xie / Thanks!
Nov 1, 2010 03:22
  • BBQQ
I think that you may go to Shenyang or Harbin in northeast China. In Harbin, the annual [tcgurl=http://www.travelchinaguide.com/attraction/heilongjiang/harbin/ice_snow.htm]International Ice and Snow Sculpture Festival[/tcgurl] will be held. However, 2011 Harbin International Ice and Snow Sculpture Festival will be held from Jan 5 to Feb 17. You may go to Harbin during that time to have much fun.
Nov 1, 2010 04:25
  • XIAOHEI
Thanks. But, I plan to go there in mid-november as I am getting a holiday during that time.

Also, to let you know, I have already been to Harbin, last January. It was a beautiful place and a experience I will never forget

Would you also be able to recommend any trustworthy guide services you know?

Last edited by XIAOHEI: Nov 1, 2010 04:29
Nov 8, 2010 14:34
  • ELLYSE
Hmmm... either Mohe or Everest Base Camp?
Nov 9, 2010 01:55
  • XIAOHEI
Thanks Ellyse. I had checked with some travel agencies and they are quoting approx. 8000 RMB to Changchun. So, I wonder how much Mohe or Everest Base Camp would be. That amount is overstepping my budget by a mile!

Last January I managed to travel to Harbin with my friend-guide who charged me about 3000 RMB, including hotel, travel (from Beijing and around Harbin) and food, which I think was pretty reasonable. What's more we had great fun...

So, I guess I should drop this plan for now...
Nov 9, 2010 09:09
  • ELLYSE
Meh, I wouldn't really bother with Changchun.
What does that 8000 RMB cover, and where are you starting from? Similarly for the 3000 RMB you spent for Harbin. It wouldn't make sense to compare apples to oranges.
Nov 10, 2010 09:36
  • XIAOHEI
Well, the 8K trip would cover a 3 day trip, with 4 star hotel, private tour guide, breakfast and a visit to places like Chang Bai Shan, some lake etc.

The Harbin trip covered hard-sleeper train tickets from Beijing to Harbin, food (breakfast, lunch and dinner), private tour guide, visit to places like the Snow & Ice Sculpture park, Orthodox Church etc.

The friend who guided me there is unavailable this time round...bad luck...

Nov 10, 2010 10:44
  • ELLYSE
3000 RMB was for how many days?
Changchun is really not very interesting. Even if you throw in Changbaishan, that's still too expensive, I've done it for cheaper -- with much less fancy accommodation, obviously!
8000 RMB for Changchun and thereabouts, no way I'd pay that. NE China is not that expensive. I think we usually averaged about 500-600 RMB/day per person, travelling in a group of 3-4 people, and we're somewhat budget to mid-range budget range.
Too bad you're not paying for me to travel along. :P
Nov 10, 2010 22:44
  • XIAOHEI
The Harbin trip (RMB 3000) was for 4 days and 3 nights. I actually thought it was well worth the money. Firstly, because I got to visit such a beautiful place, and secondly, I had really nothing to complain about the trip. You got to factor in the guide fees etc.

I am not for fancy accomodation either. Well, as long as the washroom is clean and usable, pretty much anything goes with me :-)

I wouldn't mind having you as my 'all expenses paid' guide, as you seem very knowledgable and your English is as good as a native English speaker. Are you really based in China? :-)

Nov 12, 2010 08:29
  • ELLYSE
You know what? For a 3-week trip in Northwest China (2 weeks in Xinjiang, 1 week between Gansu and Qinghai), including round-trip hard sleeper train tickets from/back to Shanghai, I spent about 4500 RMB. I was with 1 other friend, and that was my cheapest trip ever.
Otherwise, I usually average about 500-600 RMB/day when travelling in China. I'm not too budget a traveller, but neither do I spend frivolously. We also tend to fly quite a bit, so that ups our total expenditure.
Your accommodation standards sound similar to mine!
Well, I *am* a native English speaker. And yes, I'm based in China, in Shanghai actually.
Nov 13, 2010 11:32
  • XIAOHEI
I just sent you a PM, appreciate it if you can reply. Thanks!
Post a Reply to: Coldest Place and Activities in Mid-November?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code