Menu
Question about China
Apr 1, 2005 04:42
  • ELCABRON
China is no doubt the country of cyclists! Nowhere in the world you can see so many bicycles like in China. Streets of nearly every city (except Chongqing) are crowded by bikes. I would guess it is kind of sport of the nation. But why are there no Chinese professional race cyclists??? Some very good race products come from Asia like Shimano from Japan or Giant from Taiwan. But why are there no street race cycling competitions in China???

Apr 1, 2005 08:41
I think most of us take it as part of life.Say, trasportation. Plus the racing is not poplar here in China. You could hardly fine a court which you can actually practice.
Apr 1, 2005 08:58
  • MERMAID
There is a Chinese Cycling Assocation, but this sport is not that popular as there is no proper field.
Apr 1, 2005 16:46
  • ELCABRON
Oh, everyday roads are the typical practice field. Of course roads with less dangerous traffic are prefered, but on training rides between 50 and 120km you get outside every city easily. Quiet mountain roads are my favourite, but I must confess traffic in China is more dangerous in nearly every place.

Apr 1, 2005 17:22
  • MERMAID
yes, you are right. To ride on main road is too risky.
Apr 1, 2005 17:53
  • ELCABRON
Yes, this is what happens if you are not careful....

Apr 1, 2005 18:18
  • ANTHEA
Hahahaha...................

So funny:)That's why I never learn to ride bicycle.
Apr 2, 2005 05:45
  • DONHFRASER
Can you imagine trying to race around Shanghai on a typical Chinese Bike, they tend to be bery old with 2 or more people on them or being used to transport goods. They use bikes for 1001 uses, apart from racing from one junction to another.
The same can be said for Holland, many bikes but they have no hills which makes it very easy
Apr 2, 2005 16:07
  • ELCABRON
Hi Don,

Holland is a very good example. Its a small and flat country with a small population, but did you know that some of the best professional cyclists come from Holland? They have a long tradition of cycling as a sport...you dont need mounains for cycling races, but I love mountains.

well, of course you need something else than a rickshaw...but like I said, some very good companies come from Asia(Taiwan, Japan) and most companies have their production in China. And, yes ?e seen bike shops with race equipment and Ive seen sportshops with nike commercial posters of Lance Armstrong in China. There is also a tv commercial with him riding through Beijing and the forbidden city....so I guess race cycling is not unknown in China.

And it is certainly a better basis for cycling sport when you grow up with a bike (any bike) instead of getting a drivers license with 16 and getting used to driving car with 16(US example).
But I guess there is no tradition of cycling as a sport in China.

So does anybody know about cycling races in China?
Apr 6, 2005 16:21
  • ELCABRON
What the heck is the tradition of cycling sport???
Why do you want to sweat on a bike if you can take a bus, cab or car???
Why do you want to ride sometimes for hours to some places where you have nothing necessary to do???
Ok, as a kind of intercultural exchange Ill try to explain.
Its passion!!! The best example is Le Tour de France, the biggest race since more than 100 years. A complete roundtrip through France with more than 3000km. There are thousands of people waiting along every curve of the road,sometimes in the middle of nowhere, like on this pic, which shows the ascend of the Galibier in 2003 with more than 2700 meters of height. Even in summer there was still ice and snow in the curves on top of the mountain.
Everyday during the race they have live coverage on tv for 6 hours...

Apr 6, 2005 16:31
  • ELCABRON
And this pic shows the peloton with le patron in person, Mr. Lance Armstrong, for my American friends.
(I had to cut some pics because of size)

Page 1 of 5    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Question about China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code