Menu
Question about China
Apr 6, 2005 16:36
  • ELCABRON
Another view of part of the ascent of the Galibier in the French Alps.....

Apr 6, 2005 16:49
  • MERMAID
This is not unkwown in China. I remember many years agao i even saw some cyclists riding on mountain road. However,that was 13 or 14 years ago. I seldom saw them in cities.
Apr 6, 2005 17:02
  • ELCABRON
Hi Mermaid and Donnie,

But cyclists have to live somewhere, too. This is in cities most of the times;-)
If I go on a turn, I have to get through my city first to raech other roads. So it is just common to ride in city traffic......

Apr 6, 2005 17:13
  • ELCABRON
PS:
painting the road with names is part of the game!

Apr 6, 2005 22:23
  • MARTOGLIO
Elcabron:

Suggestion: why do not you start a club & give a new concept about cycling to my fellow Chinese? That would benefit not only the enviorment, but also the heath of a generation. We have too many office people do not do any sport.

Hiking was also not some sport in China, but look how many people go hiking now in China. I believe you would be very successful with a bycle club.
Apr 7, 2005 02:01
  • ICYSPRING
sure,have u heard of tour of qinghai lake, international cycling race? a UCI 2.3 stage race,highest in Asia.
and you can imagine cycling around a beautiful lake at altitudes up to 4000 meters……
it's cool!

Apr 7, 2005 05:38
  • ELCABRON
Hi Martoglio,

your ideas about health and environment are totally correct.
But China needs a Yao Ming version for cycling to make the sport popular. He made a huge hype about basketball since he plays in the US...now every kid wants to play basketball in China.
They want to built up a Chinese professional team to compete at the ProTour, would be cool for Beijing 2008.

Hi Icyspring,

thanks for your tip, its true, I found some information about the Tour of Qinghai Lake. Its in the fourth year now and the UCI rated it up to the highest ranking in Asia. The pics are amazing, beautiful countryside. Its supposed to be the highest cycling race in the world with stages up to 3.700 meters! Air gets thin around this altitude! It got 9 stages and a complete distance about 1291km.
But the race already starts at a very high level which makes no climb higher than 1000 meters.(eg the Col du Galibier has an ascent of nearly 2000 meters). Still this is an amazing race with impressive views, this could get big in the future and some professional teams already send riders to it. There would be much more teams if the timetable would be defered, because it is during the Tour de France.

This year in China:
16.07-24.07 Tour of Qinghai
07.08-11.08 Tour of Bohai
22.08-03.09 Tour of Qingzong Plateau

Do you have the stats for this years Qinghai race? Would be interesting.

Apr 7, 2005 19:19
  • ICYSPRING
hi elcabron,

it's official site in engish:
http://www.tdql.cn/english.htm

statistics of every stage.

could u read some chinese?

www.tdql.cn for more

Apr 8, 2005 01:08
  • ELCABRON
Thanks a lot, Icyspring.

Apr 8, 2005 13:01
  • LOSANG
There are bike races in China. One of the newest (and fastest growing in popularity) is the Tour of Qinghai bicycle race held in the summer. 2005 will be the 4th year of this high elevation bicycle race. Most of the race is held above 3000m. The race takes about 5 days to complete going all over NW Qinghai province. Most of the competitors are foreign. Itis rapidly becoming a very popular bicycle race in China. Do a google search on "Tour de Qinghai". You should find plenty of info about it.
Page 2 of 5    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Question about China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code