Menu
Could this be true?
Mar 14, 2011 06:04
  • BOBERT
China demands extra compo for citizens killed in Christchurch quake
March 14, 2011 12:04PM

China wants special compensation for its victims of the Christchurch quake.

CHINA has reportedly demanded New Zealand pay special compensation to Chinese families who lost their children in the February 22 Christchurch earthquake.

An official coordinating the Chinese embassy's disaster relief efforts, Cheng Lee, told Radio New Zealand that China's situation was unusual due to the fact that, by law, families there could only have one child per couple.
Parents in China rely on that child for economic assistance after their retirement, he explained.
"You can expect how lonely, how desperate they are, not only from losing loved ones, but losing almost entirely their source of economic assistance after retirement," he said.
He said the Chinese Ambassador Xu Jianguo had indicated "many times" that China hoped the New Zealand government would take "this very special case into consideration" and make arrangements for economic assistance other than that provided by the nation's Accident

The national government-run scheme provides for no-fault personal accident insurance cover, and means people who have suffered injury, or the families of those killed, do not have the right to sue.
It was unclear exactly how much compensation was thought appropriate, or whether the New Zealand government would pay, but Tertiary Education Minister Stephen Joyce said other nations had also suffered and families were entitled to a range of payments.
Seven Chinese nationals have been named among the 166 confirmed dead while 24 are missing - all from a language school, which was in one building that collapsed in the 6.3-magnitude

Mar 14, 2011 21:19
  • LINGYUXISU
To those lost their only kids, more compensation will bring them more senses of security. Even if some of the parents are rich enough even after the retirement.

Mar 14, 2011 21:29
GUEST5717 It is said that the ACC (Accident Compensation Corporation) will pay the compensation. I've heard that all victims in the earthquake will get the same amount of compensation no matter they are citizens of New Zealand or foreigners.
Mar 15, 2011 23:02
  • BOBERT
Why should New Zealand pay for something that is obvioulsy not their fault? If money can compensate for the loss of a child then that child was never loved, merely valued.
Mar 15, 2011 23:16
  • LINGYUXISU
Quote:

Originally Posted by BOBERT

Why should New Zealand pay for something that is obvioulsy not their fault? If money can compensate for the loss of a child then that child was never loved, merely valued.

It's the government's responsibility to comfort and help the people in their difficulities. I think compensation is just a form.
Mar 16, 2011 02:42
  • BOBERT
Quote:

Originally Posted by LINGYUXISU

It's the government's responsibility to comfort and help the people in their difficulities. I think compensation is just a form.

It may well be the responsibility of governments to comfort or help their own citizens in difficulty but it is most definately not their responsibility to financially compensate foreigners for events which are beyond their control. If I was visiting China and was struck by lightning would the Chinese government give me financial compensation? Of course not. Nor should they. Nobody can control lightning or earthquakes and nobody is responsible for damage caused. If I contracted a disease would they pay my medical expences or compensate my children if I died? Definately not. Nor would I expect it. It's nobodys fault and nobody is liable for compensation.
Mar 16, 2011 03:47
  • JIMMYB
It is confirmed that ACC will treat the foreign victims and its citizens alike. This means Chinese parents won't get much more compensation.

Bobert, would you apply for ACC cover if you were in the same situation like those victims in the earthquake?
Mar 16, 2011 07:49
  • BOBERT
Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMMYB

Bobert, would you apply for ACC cover if you were in the same situation like those victims in the earthquake?

The only "victims" here are the people who were killed, not the parents. No, I would definately not apply for ACC cover.
Mar 16, 2011 20:35
  • LINGYUXISU
The 'victims' are gone and feel nothing anymore, left the living ones a broken heart. I think they can be considered as 'victims' too, especially those having only one kid and depending on the only-kid when they are old.
Mar 17, 2011 00:18
  • BOBERT
If money can mend a broken heart then that is a cold, black, mercenary heart indeed. No amount of money could compensate me for the loss of a child. I would consider such money as blood money and refuse it.

Children should not be bred as income for old age. Children do not ask to be born and owe their parents absolutely nothing. If people choose to have a child then they must accept all the financial burden that comes with that choice.
Mar 17, 2011 02:31
  • LINGYUXISU
The money is not used to mend a broken heart, but to support the parents in old age or comfort them, to some extent. They have already lost their beloved ones and there is no way for them to worry about the rest of their lives. Besides, when a family member passed away, their relatives and friends will give ‘white envelop’, that’s the Chinese customs lasting for centuries.

Of course, children are not bred to support aged parents, that's what a cold blood do. But they really are the assistance of the aged, including the economic assistance. There is an old Chinese saying: Rear sons for help in old age. When the only-child policy is adopted, I think it should be changed to ‘Rear kid for help in old age’. Maybe it has been out of fashion and you may think it unbelievable. But a certain idea could not be changed in a short time.

Bobert, it seems we two are in a debate which will never come to an end. It reminded me of my cherished school life. But the customs and thinking habit differ everywhere. Now, I want to know will the New Zealand pay special compensation to Chinese families who lost their children or not? If they don’t, I just understand coz it’s not their fault. But if they do, I think the family, the Chinese government and people will highly appreciate it.
Page 1 of 6    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Could this be true?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code