Menu
Why do they eat with their hands?
May 22, 2011 02:41
In some countries like India, Thailand and Indonesia, people still eat with their hands. To be exact, their right hands. Why do they eat with their hands?

May 22, 2011 22:41
GUEST21132 Eating with hands is unhealthy. Why not use spoons, forks and knives?
May 24, 2011 04:19
GUEST4133
Quote:

Originally Posted by GUEST21132

Eating with hands is unhealthy. Why not use spoons, forks and knives?

Don't you think they don't wash their hands before meals? As far as I know, they do wash their hands.
May 24, 2011 04:30
  • ROVER
because they don't know how to use forks, knives or chopsticks.
May 25, 2011 03:38
  • JIMMYB
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROVER

because they don't know how to use forks, knives or chopsticks.

Time has changed. Many indians have learnt to use forks and knives. On formal occasions, they will use forks and knives. Here is another explanation: They can use their hands to feel the food temperature. In this way, they won't burn their tongues.

By the way, some indian restaurants usually offer a cup of lemon water when you almost finish your meals. Remember that it is used to wash your hands. Do not drink it.
May 25, 2011 21:09
  • LINGYUXISU
Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMMYB

By the way, some indian restaurants usually offer a cup of lemon water when you almost finish your meals. Remember that it is used to wash your hands. Do not drink it.

When I visited Hong Kong, a cup of tea was also served in these small restaurants, before the meal. It was not for drinking either, but used to wash the tableware.
Jul 22, 2011 15:44
GUEST61662 That is why they still have diarrhea and cholera. Because they use their hands to eat.
Aug 25, 2011 06:12
GUEST39123 In the U.K. we sometimes eat 'finger foods' which are just that, designed to be picked up and eaten. Italian pizza and garlic breads are usually picked up and eaten in this way, as is British fish and chips (although the fish is sometimes eaten with a small wooden fork). English ettiquet dictates that of all meats and poultry, it is permissible only to eat chicken with your fingers. This is true even in the more up-market establisments. This is why we wash our hands before and after we eat in this way.
Aug 29, 2011 21:54
GUEST234790256 This is why we wash our hands before and after we eat in this way.

I wash my hands before meals but I still use chopsticks, spoons etc to eat. It is their tradition and this tradition has been passed down from generation to generation.
Feb 15, 2012 16:31
GUEST99227 Americans have many finger foods too. Why is eating with hands suddenly a foreign concept? Do you eat fries with your fork? Taco with your fork? Burrito with your fork? Chips with your spoon? Fork for your soup? It's just more convenient.
Feb 15, 2012 20:40
GUEST23221 I am a Chinese. I eat fried chips at KFC or Mc Donald's with my hands. But I eat fried chicken legs with chopsticks at home.
Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Why do they eat with their hands?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code