Menu
What do you eat at Chinese restaurants in your country?
May 30, 2011 04:08
  • XIAOXIAO
Recently, I have been reading a Chinese guy's travel journals. He studied in an American university. After graduation, he decided to travel through the whole US from the east coast to the west coast by hitch-hiking. He succeeded and wrote a book to record his experiences. That's what I am reading now.

He mentioned that he did some odd jobs at the local Chinese restaurants to save money for his traveling. According to what he wrote, those Chinese restaurants make almost the same dishes like General Tso's Chicken, shrimp braised noodle and chicken fried noodle because these are what the Amercian like the most. They almost taste the same like those cooks learned their skills in the same place. These are Chinese dishes but those traditional and authentic ones are missing.

I have never been abroad and do not know what Chinese dishes they make except the above three.

What else do you eat at the Chinese restaurant?

Jun 1, 2011 22:27
  • MARRYMAX
It looks much similar to "fast food". Better go to China to taste authentic Chinese dishes.
Sep 16, 2011 01:14
  • PEGASUS
Chinese food in the United States often makes me sad. Most restaurants do make the same dishes and not very good ones. They like to add a lot of sugar to things and make things bland. If a dish contains bean curd it is almost always deep-fried. Traditional Chinese food is very difficult to find. Some cooks offer it but only on a "secret" menu.

I have been trying to research and learn more about Chinese cuisine online and from books, especially Sichuan cuisine. I finally found a market that sells traditional ingredients like dòu​bàn​jiàng from Pí​xiàn.
Sep 16, 2011 02:40
  • XIAOXIAO
PEGASUS,

They add a lot of sugar to the things because American people like this taste. That's why a lot of foreigners love sweet and sour fillet of pork.
Post a Reply to: What do you eat at Chinese restaurants in your country?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code