Menu
Foreigners: do you like century eggs?
Jul 10, 2011 01:36
  • XIAOXIAO
Last night, I made tofu with century eggs. My friend said it was very delicious. This dish is very easy to cook.

I bought a box of tender tofu and two century eggs yesterday afternoon. I didn't use a cotton thread to cut the century eggs. Instead, I dipped the knife in water and then cut century eggs into pieces. Then I sliced tofu and put them on a plate. Finally I added soy bean sauce and sesame oil, and put some caraway on it. If you like you may put some red chili oil and it will taste better.

Jul 11, 2011 05:32
  • JETSETTER
Personally, I enjoy the flavour of Century Eggs, especially in Congee.

If you search "Century eggs' on wikipedia, You will find the following "According to a persistent misconception, century eggs are, or were once, prepared by soaking eggs in horse urine. The myth may arise from the pungent odor of ammonia given off by century eggs, which is reminiscent of urine."

Also "In Thai and Lao, the common word for this type of preserved egg literally means "horse urine eggs", either due to this myth or the distinctive ammonia odor of century eggs:"

Thai & Lao word: khai yiao ma

Regardless of the myth surrounding the Century Egg, I will continue to enjoy the flavour.

Jul 12, 2011 02:59
  • CHERRY07
JETSETTER,

I searched "century egg" and "horse urine" in Google and got some materials which said century eggs were made in horse urine. It is just one of the origins of century egg. There are many other sayings. But I am sure that no one makes century eggs in horse urine today because most people don’t raise horses.

Just enjoy the century eggs though it doesn’t smell good.
Jul 14, 2011 06:56
  • JETSETTER
After looking at the pictures and great recipes I went looking for a new recipe for congee. Now I think my favourite congee is this one:

Oyster, mince pork and century egg congee

or

皮蛋生蚝粥

Jul 17, 2011 21:36
  • CHERRY07
Oyster, mince pork and century egg congee is nice. I'll tell you another recipe.

Buy four century eggs and cut them into pieces. Then chopp a small piece of ginger and put it on the century eggs. Finally just spread soy bean sauce. It's done and just enjoy it. I did it on my own. It was delicious. One thing you should pay attention to is Don't add too much soy bean sauce.

Jul 17, 2011 22:28
  • CHERRY07
JETSETTER,

Here is a recipe for oyster, minced pork and century congee.

Materials: 50 grams rice, 400 grams pork fillet, 16 oysters, 1 century egg and a small piece of ginger.

Seasonings: salt, vegetable oil and caltrop starch

1. Wash rice and add 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon vegetable oil and mix them very well.
2. Shred ginger piece and cut century egg into pieces. Wash pork fillet and put into the boiler with rice together and then add some water and boil the mixture.
3. get rid of oysters’ shell and mix them together with caltrop starch and then rub oysters to get rid of sands in them. Finally wash oysters in water.
4. Take pork fillet out of the boiler and add century egg pieces in.
5. Cool down boiled pork fillet and tear it into small pieces and then put them into the boiler to make Lean Pork and Century Egg congee.
6. Boil the mixture with fierce heat, add oysters and shredded ginger, wait for a while and add shredded shallot and salt (don’t add too much salt).

It’s done.
Jul 23, 2011 09:04
GUESTMOMO Its not so bad, it taste good with doufooooooo ... :)
Jul 25, 2011 05:29
  • JETSETTER
Hi Cherry,

Great recipe and easy to follow accept for 1 ingredient: caltrop starch ?

This is not a known ingredient in the Asian Grocery stores in Australia.

Could you please explain what is caltrop starch ?
Jul 26, 2011 03:33
  • CHERRY07
Quote:

Originally Posted by JETSETTER

Hi Cherry,

Great recipe and easy to follow accept for 1 ingredient: caltrop starch ?

This is not a known ingredient in the Asian Grocery stores in Australia.

Could you please explain what is caltrop starch ?

caltrop starch is called 生粉 in Chinese. In Guangdong and HK, 生粉 refers to corn starch. Can you buy it in the Asian Grocery stores?

You also need to know 太白粉 (Potato starch). Taiwan people use it to cook dishes.
Sep 13, 2011 21:29
  • PEGASUS
I am from Indiana in the United States, and I am very fond of century eggs! My favorite way is to mix century eggs with soy sauce, sesame oil, Chinkiang/Zhenjiang vinegar, and a little sugar. (If making it just for myself, I like to add 豆瓣酱/chili bean paste and toasted 花椒/prickly ash seeds. ) I even convinced some family members to like them when we gathered for the Mid-Autumn Festival. (I served the mixture with pumpernickel bread.)

I really like your idea, Xiaoxiao! I have had tofu like that for breakfast a few times, but I never thought to use caraway.
Last edited by PEGASUS: Sep 13, 2011 22:30
Page 2 of 5    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Foreigners: do you like century eggs?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code