Menu
Foreigners: do you like century eggs?
Sep 15, 2011 01:26
  • XIAOXIAO
Quote:

Originally Posted by PEGASUS

I really like your idea, Xiaoxiao! I have had tofu like that for breakfast a few times, but I never thought to use caraway.

Haha, honestly I don't like the smell of the caraway too. It is usually used to decorate the dish. But some people do like it very much.
Sep 15, 2011 11:47
  • PEGASUS
Oh! Haha, I like everything about caraway because of my German and Polish ancestry.
Sep 15, 2011 21:18
  • LAUGH
Quote:

Originally Posted by PEGASUS

Oh! Haha, I like everything about caraway because of my German and Polish ancestry.

Well, my dad can't bear it. Once he smells the caraway, he almost faints. So my mom never buy caraway to decorate the dishes.
Feb 5, 2012 00:23
GUEST18227
Quote:

Originally Posted by CHERRY07 View Post

JETSETTER,

I searched "century egg" and "horse urine" in Google and got some materials which said century eggs were made in horse urine. It is just one of the origins of century egg. There are many other sayings. But I am sure that no one makes century eggs in horse urine today because most people don’t raise horses.

In those days, if you could afford horses. It is the same like you could afford a cars. It's not practical as people use to be very poor in the past and only very few people are rich especially the militants general.
Feb 6, 2012 21:35
  • BBQQ
Quote:

Originally Posted by GUEST18227

In those days, if you could afford horses. It is the same like you could afford a cars. It's not practical as people use to be very poor in the past and only very few people are rich especially the militants general.

It's true. You must have a large farm to raise the horses. The farm isn't cheap.

The century eggs don't smell good but taste very well.
Mar 20, 2012 22:57
GUEST65231 I tried one today for the first time. It was ok. Just freshly peeled it has very strong odor of ammonia. The yolk is creamy and delicious with great texture and the slight sulfur taste makes it very umami. I will try next time with soy and pickled ginger. I have read about how they are made, no horses. Only quicklime and salt and clay. They are desiccated and the lime raises the pH so high it preserves them and kills off the bacteria, so you can eat them without cooking later. I am a cook so perhaps more adventurous than other. There is nothing gross about how they are made. Their appearance scares some people from trying them.
Mar 20, 2012 23:00
GUEST65231 That's not true. It's a misconception that they were made by soaking in horse urine, because the pH is not high enough to preserve the egg. But now if westerners are so frightened of horse urine, then they had better not take hormones like those used in treating menopause because those actually do come from horse urine. See "Premarin".
Mar 21, 2012 04:11
GUEST65231 I have just tried preserved eggs for the second time. This time I have prepared an onion pickle relish with soy, apple cider vinegar and diced shallots to accompany the egg. I have also headed advice to slice it with a thread instead of with a metal knife as it might affect the flavor.
I have to say the flavor is much improved. The ammonia smell and taste is almost absent and just the great umami flavor remains. Delicious.
Apr 6, 2012 05:49
  • DAVEC
The horse urine is a common image here in the west and probably a big reason for people not to eat them. I suppose also that our way of cooking eggs means they are quick, fresh and always white with a bit of yellow, so century eggs dont really appeal to the eye.

I had them in Taiwan cooking with pork and it was soso, I also had them just cooked with veg at my wedding in China but sadly didnt get a chance to eat as we were too busy with guests. :)
Apr 7, 2012 01:32
Preserved eggs with pork? Never cook them together.

This one looks good though I didn't give it a try. You know, I hate pepper.
Page 3 of 5    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Foreigners: do you like century eggs?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code