Menu
Travelling polygamists
Jul 19, 2011 10:19
  • VOLTMAN
Hi everybody!

I am a Mormon interested in possibly starting a bigamous marriage.

My question:

If I were to go to China however, would I be punished for being in a bigamous marriage?
If so, what is the punishment?

This is a serious thread by the way and not a troll to anyone who's wondering.

Thanks!
Last edited by VOLTMAN: Jul 19, 2011 10:21
Jul 19, 2011 20:58
GUESTDAVE I think it will be all right for you to travel to China. It's part of your culture.
Jul 20, 2011 12:09
  • VOLTMAN
Quote:

Originally Posted by GUESTDAVE

I think it will be all right for you to travel to China. It's part of your culture.

But are you sure that they'd tolerate it?

I am seriously considering a bigamous marriage because I find this lifestyle choice much for fulfilling than a monogamous marriage.

I'm only asking here because it is illegal in China to have polygamous marriages but what if the plural marriages were undertaken overseas?
Would I be punished by the Chinese if I went to China say for work or say a holiday? If so, what is the punishment?

I want to know what my rights are.
Jul 20, 2011 20:50
  • BL2022
When traveling to China, you'll need a China visa, right?
Once you get it successfully, there won't be any problem for you to stay or travel in China.
Jul 20, 2011 21:09
  • RAINDROP
BL2022 is right. It will be ok if you can get the visa to China. But do not try to find one or some Chinese women to start your bigamous marriage. Bigamous marriage is forbidden in China. Don't get yourself in trouble in China.
Jul 20, 2011 21:51
  • VOLTMAN
But does anyone know what the punishment actually is exactly is?

What if I did start a monogamous marriage in China and then undertake another marriage overseas?
Could I be killed?
Would I be given a small fine?
What would happen to me? What would the Chinese do to me if they found out I did this?

Also, what if I was initially single then married a Chinese person in China however then went back home to marry another woman?
If I did this would my first wife and second wife be punished in anyway by the Chinese Government? Or would it just be me?

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAINDROP

BL2022 is right. It will be ok if you can get the visa to China. But do not try to find one or some Chinese women to start your bigamous marriage. Bigamous marriage is forbidden in China. Don't get yourself in trouble in China.

Hold on, if I get a VISA what exactly does that achieve? Will that make me immune to Chinese law?

I really don't want to break any laws and want to figure out how I can do this.
Jul 20, 2011 22:53
GUEST6491 VOLTMAN

1 Does anyone know what the punishment actually is exactly is?

According to the law, people who commit bigamy will be sentenced to not more three years of fixed-term imprisonment or criminal detention.

Hold on, if I get a VISA what exactly does that achieve? Will that make me immune to Chinese law?

Definitely NO. The visa won’t make you immune to Chinese law. Foreigners who commit crimes in China will be punished according to Chinese law except people who have diplomatic immunity.
Jul 20, 2011 23:02
GUESTGUEST6491 According to the law, people who commit bigamy will be sentenced to not more three years of fixed-term imprisonment or criminal detention.

I am sorry. It should be "not more than 2 years...."
Jul 21, 2011 07:17
  • DODGER
This has to be a windup
Dodger.
Jul 21, 2011 16:45
  • SUKUKI
Yes Dodger, after all, who is stupid enough to have more than 1 wife? Unless he is planning on having 18 wives and have his own golf course!
Jul 27, 2011 01:52
  • BBQQ
Quote:

Originally Posted by SUKUKI

Yes Dodger, after all, who is stupid enough to have more than 1 wife? Unless he is planning on having 18 wives and have his own golf course!

SUKUKI, men in the Arab countries can marry more than one wife.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Travelling polygamists
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code