Menu
Run or not to run?
Aug 27, 2011 03:53
  • DREAMLIFE
Voting without time limit
Exclusive Vote
  1. 0 vote(s)
  2. 1 vote(s)
Note: Guest voter(s) are not displayed here.
At midnight on August 24, a patient who was undergoing an amputation operation in a hospital in Shanghai was burned to death during a fire accident. But the six doctors who performed the operation were safe because they ran away immediately when the fire started. Unfortunately, the patient was anaesthetized and couldn’t move. As a result, he died because of the fire.

According to today’s report, the families of the dead patient came to the hospital and had a talk with the hospital. The hospital authorities said that they were responsible for the death of the patient and they would inform the dead man’s family of the details of the incident after the police finished their investigation.

The families of the dead man disclosed that the hospital wanted to compensate them some money but didn’t mention whether the doctors who performed the surgery would be punished.

How could the doctors leave the patient on the operating table and run away immediately? Do they feel guilty now? A bunch of cowards! When the 5.12 earthquake occurred in 2008, five doctors were performing an operation to cut the patient’s appendicitis. But none of them ran away. They spent two hours finishing the operation with the help of the emergency light and carried out the patient from the building. Then they learned about that they were the last ones who escaped from the building.

In 2008, the Central Hospital in Liaoyuan city was on fire. The doctors finished the operation in candle light. At the same time, the doctors and the nurses transferred all the patients who had serious diseases to a safe place first. None of them ran away to save their own lives.

The patient gave his life to your hands but ran away and let him die on the operating table. How do you feel now?

Last edited by DREAMLIFE: Aug 27, 2011 03:53
Aug 27, 2011 16:44
GUEST19140 Before you rush to judgement, you have to weigh these facts:

- An earthquake is not like a fire. What's the difference? A quake can last less than 30 seconds, and a big fire can last hours. Then again, not all fires the same.

- Hospitals are built to withstand strong quakes, but they are no match to a strong fire.

- Here is the most important fact: most fire casualties die from smoke inhalation, not from burns.

- Even if the 6 doctors tried to drag the person undergoing the operation out of the building, none of the 7 persons would have had a chance to survive the smoke.

- How many times have you seen a person drowning, another person jumps to save him, and both of them drown?

- In a fire, you have to make instant, fast decisions. An average person can hold his breath for less than a minute.

- Don't tell us what you think the doctors should have done. Tell us what you'd have done in a situation like this.

Now consider the facts and draw your conclusion.

I'm still torn regarding my opinion.

Aug 28, 2011 18:11
  • LARRYBOY
The word "TRY" comes to my mind,, is there anything in the report that these doctors tried to move the patient or just ran out and saved themselves. I thought doctors were supposed to save lives if at all possible! So? did they "TRY" at all?
Word will spread quickly as this will be a black eye for those certain doctors and that hospital. People will think twice about taking anyone there again!!
I would have to live with the haunting thought if this person died that i did not "TRY". So yes these are the facts and that is my conclusion,, and now one person is dead and was trusted enough by the patients family to save his or her life because of an OATH they took when they became doctors. My question is,,did the doctors at the very least because time was against them,,,TRY at all, to save this person?
Aug 29, 2011 21:31
  • RAINDROP
I heard about this too. The result of the investigation hasn't been published. Only the doctors at the scene know what happened.

Some people condemned those doctors not to extinguish the fire when the situation was not emergent. They just waited for the firemen.

I just hope that they can tell the truth to the public. If it was their fault, they should take the responsibility. If they choose to hide the truth, they will suffer from this nightmare in their lives.
Aug 31, 2011 21:47
GUEST2322 Oops, I am lucky that I didn't take doctor as my profession. It is difficult to decide to save your own life or the patient life at that moment. The doctors are just humans even though they took an oath before becoming a doctor.
Sep 1, 2011 06:19
  • LARRYBOY
Your right Guest 232!! Doctors are only human,,good thing that they have pagers to remind them of lunch and golf dates, so as to cancel appointments. I see this happen all the time with many doctors,,,Yep!! even doctors like to "Sneak" away, and have some fun,,and with nurses too!! Its only human to sneak in a linen closet and get a "LittleSqueeze" from an Intern.
I hope tragedy "never" strikes anyone here on this forum who think (these doctors),,not just one doctor but "These" doctors,,were justified when they ran away from whatever cause, while one of our own family members is on the table waiting for their life to be saved. I hope this never happens to anyone and for the money "These doctors" make compared to the lower and middle class wages of the common people.. I think a little effort should be expected.
So the Question!!.....Does anyone think because of the high salary that these doctors make and (some coming from public grants) which the tax payer pays for,,Does this excuse the doctor for which he or she was hired for??
Doctors can make decisions in a split second when operating or diagnosing,, ( thats their training )why cant they make split decisions in a circumstance like this?
Sep 1, 2011 17:02
  • LARRYBOY
By the way DreamLife good post!!
Sep 1, 2011 22:13
GUEST2322 So what would you do suppose you were one of the six doctors, Larry? Be honest!

I really don't know what I would do at that moment if I were one of them. Maybe, I would run away immediately.
Sep 2, 2011 03:57
  • LARRYBOY
What would I do? As I have been saying from the beginning,,I myself would at least try to move this person from a burning room and if I couldnt do it because of the fire ,at least I know in my heart that I tried and I would feel less guilty of not trying at all. I myself personally could not live with myself and it would be haunting me,because of MY conscious. Didnt we all at one time depend on our parents when we were very small since we saw them as our protector, to help us when in need or to give us something we ask for? If we cant depend on our Parents as mentors then an emotional change begins within us, to where it shapes our lives in the decisions we make. Im the type of person that will stop my car in the middle of the road while there is traffic behind to rescue a turtle trying to cross the street.( I have done this quite a few times) What chance does a turtle have,, maybe i cant save them all but I sure will try to save at least one. I cant stand to see someone or something weak being in distress when it is in my power to act upon it. Thats my heart..Guest232. This has been a good conversation.
Last edited by LARRYBOY: Sep 2, 2011 03:58
Sep 2, 2011 04:26
  • LAUGH
Larry, you really surprised me. I am moved by what you said. I was a bad boy when I was in primary school. You know, I killed frogs and ate roast frog legs. I gradually realized that I was jerk as I grew up. I remembered that my dad caught a pheasant one day when I was in junior middle school. He planed to let my mom cook it for my sister and I. At that time, I knew that I had to save the pheasant’s life. So I begged my dad to let her go. Finally, my dad set her free. I felt very happy.

Now I am an adult. I am still afraid of seeing roast frog legs because it will remind me of what I had done when I was a kid.

I didn’t know whether the doctors just ran away or tried to save the patient. If they didn’t, they will feel sorry in their whole life.
Sep 2, 2011 05:59
  • LARRYBOY
This is what I am trying to find out if they ran away without thought and how would they feel later on in life. I did the same things also when I was younger, by killing small animals and just for the fun of it!! I realized as I grew older the weaknesses of all living beings and creatures have. Who am I to decide the fate of a small animal out of fun when it was not me who created or gave it life. I realized that later in years after getting closer to God. You have a good heart Laugh!
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Run or not to run?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code