Menu
Chinese-Japanese relationship
Apr 11, 2005 05:05
  • ELCABRON
What do you think?
I know the Japanese government never apologized for their mistakes in the past. But after more than 50 years is there still that much hatred?
What about this history book? I just heard part of it, that the historical context is shown incorrect?
Apr 11, 2005 08:52
  • MERMAID
Not only did they not apologize, they keep paying worship to the shrine which annoys not Chinese but all the Southeastern Asian countries that were invaded by Japan.
Apr 11, 2005 09:04
  • CATHERINE
History can remind us what should we do today. It is not because Chinese people are still that much hatred, but we cann't bear those who have committed such crimes now overset the history.

Here is some words from one of my friends in Britain when we discussed this matter:

"Yesterday I went to the library to change my books and quite by chance found a book about the Japanese sack of Nanjing. It will be interesting to read a full account of those dreadful times. What surprises me is that the present Japanese people are not prepared to admit to the fact that their nation committed such crimes against other countries. The book highlights the sad fact that the attack on China by Japan has been all but forgotten by western nations. I think we are too obsessed with the atrocities committed by Nazi Germany and the activities of the Japanese involving western nations.

I was also surprised that no mention of this was made when we visited Nanjing on our tour and out of interest, when I read your article, I looked for information in the guide book we had been given for the tour. There was nothing in that book about the Holocaust although the map of Nanjing shows the location of the Memorial and museum in very small print that is almost impossible to read. The book was published in Hong Kong and I wonder whether this blatant omission has been due to the fact that there has been an ongoing attempt to forget Japan's past while never forgiving that country for what it did in the 1930-1945 period."
Apr 11, 2005 14:06
  • ANTHEA
Can you image that 300,000 common people of Nanjing have been slaughtered in the year of 1937? Here is the memorial hall of the victims of Nanjing Massacre.

Apr 11, 2005 18:24
  • LESAIGNEUR
You know Bruce Lee ?
Fist of Fury is Bruce Lee's second film.

Shanghai during the 1930's, a delegation from a Japanese Bushido school arrive and present the Chinese mourners with a large tablet inscribed to the "Sick Man of Asia".
The idea of fighting for honour is engraved within Chinese culture and the storyline for Fist of Fury was clearly designed to tap into these kinds of sentiments.
When Bruce Lee enters the Japanese martial arts school, beats the entire school up then yells out "The Chinese are not sick men!" it must have seemed to a cinema-going Hong Kong audience that all the humiliation felt during the Japanese occupation of the second world war had finally been removed.
And watch the classic scene when Bruce Lee demolished the sign reading “No dogs or Chinese allowed” it's a great Symbol?

Apr 11, 2005 18:44
  • ELCABRON
Hi everybody,

it is interesting to read all your comments (and I hope to read some more). I guess it is a difficult topic.

I heard that there was a new history school book published in Japan, which disguised historical facts. And this was the reason for demonstrations and violence the last days.

In Europe there were many wars and a lot of warcrime. In WWI and WWII with the holocaust there were millions killed.
But society changed and the key is not to forget but to remember. This makes sure something like that cant happen again.
You can see many memorials and museums about war crimes in germany. It is also part of the history lessons so every kid grows up with the knowledge of the dark history.
If a friendly, peaceful and united living is possible in Europe after all these wars, there is also a chance for a good Chinese-Japanese relationship.

The pic shows the latest holocaust memorial in berlin

Apr 12, 2005 08:20
  • ILEERCHINA
chinese never do anything wrong and never hurt the Japanese. for their actions we never ask for anything from them.after the world war two,the japanese should compensate china, but Chairman Mao said we do not ask you to give us any material things,including money for your destroy of our home,we hope you can realize the history, make effort to future peace, and hope that we can rebuild a good freindship in the future.
but they never admit the history, so don't say apologize.
we always say that if you are poor you will be oppressed by the evil rich,you will even have no strength to protect your own family members and your homeland.so we now want to develop, to have more strength to protect ourself and to make a better living.
euro people just see the Japanese's ecomonic,how many of you know aout this history? you never experience this kind of hurting, so you never know the pain.we see the world is peace, but we can not ignore there is still something uncertainty evil hiding behine us.

Apr 12, 2005 08:39
  • PEPPERMINT
I am afraid you misunderstood our European friends.
What they were saying was not to cover Japan's crime.
To forgive is onething;to forget is another thing. We can be friendly to ordinary Japanese and love them as human beings but we should also teach our children the bloody history.
And the purpose of all these is not for hatred but to avoid the history to repeat.
Apr 12, 2005 08:55
  • MERMAID
LESAIGNEUR, Bruce Lee is Li Xiao Long in Chinese. The first kongfu star in Hollywood.
Apr 12, 2005 10:52
  • MERMAID
ILEERCHINA
"euro people just see the Japanese's ecomonic,how many of you know aout this history? you never experience this kind of hurting, so you never know the pain.we see the world is peace, but we can not ignore there is still something uncertainty evil hiding behine us. "

I am afraid you forgot that the main warfield was in Europe. How could the Europeans forget this? How could you conclude they never understand this hurt?

However, our aim is peace, not war. The reason we are here discussing this is to avoid the war again.

Apr 12, 2005 12:10
  • ILEERCHINA
i don't want to see war too. no one would like to see. we know we should teach children to remember the history, don't let this happen again.we want to make friend with all people in the world,we always do this,forgive everything, want to be friends with the japanese.
but the reality is that both sides should make effort,not only the chinese, but also the Japanese.
they never admit the history but teach their children to admire those war criminal,who once raped women, killed the children and use chinese men instead of mice to do their experiment ,as heros.
we can never accept this.
Page 1 of 12    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Chinese-Japanese relationship
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code