Menu
What will Apple’s future be without Steve Jobs?
Nov 1, 2011 22:40
  • JIMMYB
I bought my Nokia N70 3.5 years ago. It still serves me very well. It is equipped with Symbian system. It was popular once but has declined since the Android appears. Nokia promises that it will keep supporting Symbian until 2015. This year, Nokia has improved the Symbian system to Anna and Belle. It seems good. On Oct. 26, Nokia also published two WP7 smart phones. They look awesome.

My friend has an android smart phone. He told me that there was an Android market where you could buy and download many nice applications. But the android smart phone seems to have high requirements on the hardware. The CPU of his cell phone is 800 mhz. He installs some games and software and then his cellphone becomes slow.

By the way, you’d better prepare two batteries for your android smart phone. One battery just supports your cellphone one day. I don’t know why android consumes a lot of power. Some people said that some programs might run in the background and you couldn’t turn them off. So it eats up a lot of power. I don’t know if it is true.

The android is an open source system. Thus, the developers in the world can develop many applications. The users needn’t worry about the shortage of applications. But the users should be very careful with the viruses because anyone can write the malicious codes to spy or destroy your cell phone.

Symbian, WP7 and IOS are closed systems. Someone said they were much safer, compared with android system.

I am planning to buy me a new smart phone. Currently, I haven’t decided to buy a wp7, symbian or android one. Blackberry is also nice.
Nov 1, 2011 22:46
  • BOBERT
Soon everyone will only have smartphones. They are becoming smarter and smarter...and easier and easier to use. This app is now available for my Android and is indispensable when I travel.

http://www.jibbigo.com/website/index.php

Features:

State of the art Speech Recognition Technology
Vocabulary of 40,000+ words
Statistical machine translation for optimal performance
Natural voice output using SVOX speech synthesis technology
Dictionary included
No data roaming charges or connection necessary

Jibbigo is a speech-to-speech translation application for your iPhone, iPod, iPad or Android device:

Jibbigo is not a dictionary and not a phrase book, but a speech translator: You simply speak a sentence, and it speaks the sentence aloud in the other language, much like a personal human interpreter would.

Jibbigo also shows the recognition and translation on the app screen, so you can be sure your translation is accurate to what you spoke.

Jibbigo is bi-directional so you can have a full conversation with a speaker of another language. (Bi-directional operation is available on most Apple and all Android compatible devices, for more information, visit http://www.jibbigo.com/website/en/consumers/jibbigo-iphone.)

Best of all, Jibbigo runs completely on your mobile device and does not connect to remote servers via data-communication links. There are no connection delays, no roaming charges and no disconnects! That means your pocket interpreter does not disappear on you during foreign travel when you need it the most.

Nov 1, 2011 22:57
  • BOBERT
Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMMYB View Post

My friend has an android smart phone. He told me that there was an Android market where you could buy and download many nice applications. But the android smart phone seems to have high requirements on the hardware. The CPU of his cell phone is 800 mhz. He installs some games and software and then his cellphone becomes slow. [...

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 and my battery is more than adequate for my requirements. Like all smartphone its prudent to kill tasks that are not currently required to save processing power and battery life. A simple virus protection program will detect malware BEFORE its installed. Like most Android apps, they are plentiful and free.
Nov 1, 2011 23:16
  • JIMMYB
Bobert,

Samsung Galaxy S2 is sold too expensively in China. I can’t afford to buy one. By the way, I prefer keyboard to touch screen. Because I have used N70 for three and half years and I have been used to it.

I am considering of buying nokia E6 or a blackberry. But the programs for Symbian Anna/Belle and blackberry OS are not as much as android.

Nov 1, 2011 23:44
  • BOBERT
Jimmy,
I can understand why you prefer a physical keyboard to a virtual one but there is little difference really. I am typing this on an Android Acer Iconia tablet computer and its as fast as a laptop. Try a virtual keyboard and you might be pleasantly surprised. Its bad luck that Samsung are expensive in China. I couldn't be happier with mine.
Nov 2, 2011 02:15
  • JIMMYB
Quote:

Originally Posted by BOBERT View Post

Jimmy,
I can understand why you prefer a physical keyboard to a virtual one but there is little difference really. I am typing this on an Android Acer Iconia tablet computer and its as fast as a laptop. Try a virtual keyboard and you might be pleasantly surprised. Its bad luck that Samsung are expensive in China. I couldn't be happier w...

Thanks, Bobert. The Nokia E6 and Blackberry 9900 both have keyboard and touch screen. These are my two candidates. But I am hesitating because there isn't enough programs.

I will go to the store and experience big touch screen smart phones and then decide which I am going to buy.
Nov 2, 2011 22:01
  • BOBERT
Jimmy,
This news article published today might make your decision a bit easier:

Bad news continues to plague the BlackBerry maker.

Research In Motion's stock fell below its book value for the first time in nine years, prompting investors to call for the company to be broken up and its assets sold.

Investors now consider the former market leader to be worth less than the net value of its property, patents and other assets.

RIM fell 2 per cent to US$18.91 at the close in New York, below the book value per share of US$18.92 at the end of last quarter, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. Book value comprises a company's assets including cash, inventories, real estate and intellectual property minus its liabilities.

"The market has no faith in its current model, that is what the market is telling you," said Neeraj Monga, an analyst at Veritas Investment Research in Toronto. Monga, who has a "sell" rating on RIM, says there's a 50 per cent chance the stock will drop below US$10 within 12 months.

RIM, which helped create the smartphone market a decade ago with its first e-mail device, is struggling to compete against Apple and devices that run Google's Android software. Its market-share decline has put pressure on RIM to shake up management and prompted investors such as Jaguar Financialto call for RIM to divide into separate companies, seek a merger or sell itself.

Nokia chief executive officer Stephen Elop told Bloomberg News yesterday that he plans to introduce Windows phones with multiple US carriers in early 2012. RIM had said that it planned to have the first BlackBerrys built on its new BBX platform early next year. However, co-CEO Mike Lazaridis didn't reiterate that goal at a BlackBerry conference last month in San Francisco, and analysts say those new phones may come too late.

Apple and Google are the dominant smartphone platforms and there is only room for one more, said Veritas's Monga. When Nokia was reorganising, RIM had its chance to establish itself as the third. It may have lost the opportunity, he said.

"Eighteen months ago, RIM was fighting but had a fighting chance," he said. "Now, the problems RIM has on its software platform seem to be insurmountable."

Last edited by BOBERT: Nov 2, 2011 22:04
Nov 2, 2011 23:36
Jimmyb, you are in China, right?

If I were you, I would not buy a symbian smart phone. Apparently, Nokia has changed its focus from symbian to WP smart phone. Nokia has handed over symbian business to another company. This isn't a good sign. Do you think Nokia will keep supporting symbian after 2015? I guess not. The WP smart phones are his focus.

Blackberry is famed for its mail service. But the telecom operators in China charge too much for this service. They also sell blackberry smart phones at very high prices. Actually, I like blackberry smart phones. All data inside your blackberry are encrypted and secured. But I can not afford to buy one in China. My friend Xiao Yang bought one from abroad but it didn’t work very well in China. He couldn’t use any other internet browsers except the one installed by blackberry. He also couldn’t log in his QQ, use its wifi stably. Once he called the Chinese telecom operator and they just said it was none of their business.

Nokia and Microsoft both hope their WP7 cell phones can sell very well. But the android is still the biggest winner. It is not easy to defeat android supported by Google. Google has bought Motorola mobility business. The giant internet search company wants to develop its own cell phones.

I think Nokia and Microsoft can hardly defeat Google in short time. Android smart phones have a bright future.

You may choose HTC android smart phones. Some of them have keyboards.
Nov 3, 2011 21:22
  • JIMMYB
Thank you all, Bobert and Lonelyjourney.

I think that I will give up buying a WP7 smart phone. I have read some articles related to WP7 smart phones. It has improved in many aspects but the biggest shortcoming is that WP7 can’t support multitask operations. The multitask operation in WP7 Mango 7.5 version is fake. For example, I log in my QQ already and then I start to play Angry Birds. When somebody sends me a QQ message, I can transfer to read my QQ message but I can’t continue to play Angry Birds. To play Angry Birds, I have to click the icon and play at the beginning.

The Symbian and android smart phones support multitask operations. My option is to buy either a symbian smart phone or an android one. Since Nokia has turned its focus to WP7, I guess that the symbian won’t develop fast.

Unlike Symbian, the android is supported by Google. It’s clear that Google plans to develop its own mobility business. Otherwise, it won’t spend a large number of money buying Motorala.

Lonely is right. The android has a very bright future. Maybe, I have to make up my mind to buy an android smart phone. It just takes some time to get used to the big touch screen. But I can use thousands of programs from the android market. All I have to do is to prepare one more battery for it.
Nov 3, 2011 22:47
  • BOBERT
Relax! With normal usage I get a week out of my Samsung Android. Even with heavy usage you will not need an extra battery. Android is definitely the way to go. You will love the big touch screen keyboard but you will absolutely adore the inbuilt voice recognition software. A keyboard is almost redundant these days. I send all my SMS, emails and make phone calls barely touching the keyboard.
Page 2 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: What will Apple’s future be without Steve Jobs?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code