Menu
Will you pay bride price to your Chinese girlfriend’s parents?
Oct 21, 2011 22:00
  • SUNNYDREAM
Voting without time limit
Exclusive Vote
  1. 64 vote(s)
  2. 154 vote(s)
  3. 101 vote(s)
Note: Guest voter(s) are not displayed here.
Marrying a Chinese girl is not as easy as you think. At least, you have to pay the bride price. I have read some posts here. Some foreigners want to know how much they have to pay. No one can give you accurate figures because the bride price varies from place to place.

But I am shocked when a guest said that his girl’s parents wanted him to pay 200000 Canadian dollars (about 1.26 million RMB) as bride price. Plus, he has to buy a house in Canada.

To my understanding, the girl’s parents just want to sell their girl to him instead of letting her marry him. Ridiculous!

So I really want to know what you think about the bride price. Are you willing to pay the bride price? How much is acceptable to you?
Oct 22, 2011 03:37
  • KEVIN0518
Both sides need to negotiate about the bride price. If she loves you, she will figure it out with you instead of standing with her parents.
Oct 24, 2011 02:24
  • KLOH
This is one of the conditions of China, so first we should not blame our parents.

But for me, I will try to make my parents stop thinking of that. I'm not a commodity. I'm marrying a man because I love him and I know he would take care of me no matter rich or poor, we are going to be together until the day we leave this world.

Some people/parents think "the more money the man pays, the more he loves the woman", it just does NOT Make any sense.

And if I were a man, I would NOT pay bride price even if I can afford.
Oct 24, 2011 02:25
  • KLOH
But I think when you decide not to pay, you will have to work hard to convince the parents.
Oct 25, 2011 04:21
  • SUNNYDREAM
But for me, I will try to make my parents stop thinking of that. I'm not a commodity. I'm marrying a man because I love him and I know he would take care of me no matter rich or poor, we are going to be together until the day we leave this world.

Well said. I wish your parents could understand your thought.
Oct 25, 2011 18:35
GUEST11830 "I'm marrying a man because I love him and I know he would take care of me no matter rich or poor, we are going to be together until the day we leave this world."

Really touchy words... :)

Kris
Nov 2, 2011 11:27
  • CARLOS
Buy a wife?
My wife sends money home every month more than she earned in China. I think that is enough. The way of measuring feelings with money irritates me.

Carlos
Nov 2, 2011 21:06
  • MJ1985
Quote:

Originally Posted by CARLOS

Buy a wife?
My wife sends money home every month more than she earned in China. I think that is enough. The way of measuring feelings with money irritates me.

Carlos

She is too expensive. I wouldn't even if I have 1.26 million yuan.
Nov 4, 2011 22:45
  • LAUGH
Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ1985

She is too expensive. I wouldn't even if I have 1.26 million yuan.

Yes, very expensive. Does she plan to marry him or just dry him up?
Nov 4, 2011 23:24
GUEST44065 Glad I maried a Korean in China. She even paid for 85% of a 13k wedding in China. I must be lucky.
Nov 5, 2011 05:13
GUEST27200 This practice of giving a 'bride price' or dowry is a Chinese custom. My sister got married a couple of years back, and my parents didn't state a specific sum they want. My brother-in-law gave an equivalent of US$11,000.00 and my parents took US$10.00 and returned the rest.

I guess it all depends on the parents and the bride too. :P
Page 1 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Will you pay bride price to your Chinese girlfriend’s parents?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code