Menu
marrying a chinese woman into Canada
Dec 25, 2011 20:17
I am a canadian and have been talking with a chinese lady these past 2 months..we have been interacting through a date site called plenty of fish and on yahoo messenger..she wants to come to canada for 6 months and during that time if we connect we want to get married before her visa is over and she has to go back..i obviously have no idea what red tape i have to go through to keep her here without having to go to china seeing as i have house payments,children and a job i need to keep here in canada..is it that easy to just marry her here and no need to go to china at all? please i need helpful advice..thank you
Last edited by REDRIVERMONTANA: Dec 25, 2011 20:18
Dec 26, 2011 06:21
GUEST63212 It is unlikely that immigration will provide a single Asian lady with a visa unless she can provide plenty of proof that she will return to China before the its expiry. This usually includes owning a property and having substantial funds in a Chinese bank account. The marriage process is usually easier in China. It is also useful to learn something of the culture and meet her family.
Dec 28, 2011 07:20
so if she comes down for 6 months on a work visa ,we take pictures together showing we are a couple doing things etc does she still have to go back after 6 months or can we marry and she stay here?
Dec 28, 2011 07:22
say i go back with her to china for a week or 2 and we get married there...can she come back to canada with me now that she is my wife???or what other red tape is there before she and I can be together?
Dec 28, 2011 08:40
GUEST31188 I think that in Canada things are similar to the US, where -

-A young Chinese woman will most likely be rejected for a tourist visa.
-Will be expected to return to China if she's on work visa or student visa.
-If you get married in China, she has to go through the entire process (8 months or more) in her hometown.
-A better way is to apply for a K1 fiancee visa, then get married within 90 or 100 days and apply for a green card.

Do some reading or consult a lawyer, if you have issues.
Dec 28, 2011 16:13
  • MANDYWONG
WOW,so fast
Dec 29, 2011 04:12
GUEST72146 Unless things are different in Canada, even a work visa will be difficult to obtain. Usually the applicant needs a degree and a job offer.

Marrying in China requires you to have verified proof from your government that you are free to marry. (Divorce papers are not proof). You will also need these translated in to Chinese (usually cheaper and more accurate in China). Once you have all the documents the marriage is very quick and simple. You must then return home and she applies for a visa to join you.

I suggest you do a little research starting here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp
Feb 10, 2012 04:24
GUEST04522 Does she have children ? if so the chinese goverment will usually grant a visa if the kid or kids stay in china, because they know they have to come back for there kid or kids.
Mar 26, 2012 19:33
GUEST14186 Folks, I ment my now wife 4 years ago on-line, i went to china and Married Zhiying, in January,12,2011, after she was refused entry to canada in 2009,to meet my Family. Since I married my wife I've been to China 4 times, applied for her to come to Canada, filled out all the paper work, sent many pictures,Literally hundreds,We talk on line every day, phone calls 2-3 times a week and text's daily, to be told the power's at be think it's a marrage convenience.Now after nearly a year of submitting the paper work,we are at the appeal stage.
We did everything that was requested by the canadian Embassy,and the Chinese government, to have My own Government shut us down. We Both have very good jobs, and have done well for ourseves in our respective countries.
All I can say is don't give up, I know for me it's caused health issues,but The Government ain't strong enough to deter our feeling for each other.I was asked to apply for my Green Card in China, in which my wife is working on at this point in time.
Mar 30, 2012 04:39
GUEST11751 There is no such thing as a green card in China. You have to be invited to work by a company registered to employ foreigners and have the requisite qualifications. They will provide a Z visa which is converted to a work/residence permit. Jobs are only available to those with "Special skills (a job which a Chinese worker cannot do, usually teaching a foreign language). You could apply for a long term family visitor visa (1 year) but cannot work on this.
May 6, 2012 09:17
GUEST78229 If your girlfriend does get a visa for Canada: tourist, student, or possibly work getting married in Canada is as easy as one two three: get a certificate application, fill it out, and then either go to a JP, or marriage commissioner say your do's and pay a modest amount and viola you are married.

The procedure is much more difficult in China - where you must both prove you are legally divorced (if you were married before) with court documents proving you are legally divorced, and have another notarized paper saying you are marriageable, that is signed off by both a provincial official, and then translated and signed by the local canadian Chinese consulate and then take these all to China with you.

There is a few shortcuts, but you need to know someone that can pull some strings and be close to a Canadian consulate office in China. Who can provide the first two obstacles at one place and time.

Once you do all that then much more Canadian paperwork and about 3 months before she can come to Canada - if approved!

Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: marrying a chinese woman into Canada
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code