Menu
Moving from Ireland to Guangzhou to teach English
Mar 19, 2012 11:03
  • GERMSHEE
Hi, I have been offered a job to teach English in Guangzhou. I am trying to decide pretty quickly whether to go or not. I am being offered 12000 RMB a month for 40 hours working teaching kids and teens in the evenings and at weekends. I am wondering if this is enough for me to be able to save money every month. I will hopefully be trying to get an apartment on a 5 month lease, sharing with other English speakers. Can anyone advise how much this will cost per month or even advise where to start looking?!
At the moment I don't speak Cantonese or Mandarin, but of course I'm willing to learn. Do you think it will be an easy place for me to go on my own. I'm a 24 year old single female.
Thanks for any help I get, much appreciated :)
G
Mar 19, 2012 17:58
GUEST19203 hi are you male or female
Mar 30, 2012 08:40
  • EVI2
hi ,
i m elisa.12000rmb is a good income in China, you can save money each month to.Cantonese are very friendly.

I'm looking for a roommate, three bedrooms of the apartment, the two of us girls live there, one room is available.

We can become good friends, I can teach you Cantonese, you can teach me English.

If you are interested, you can contact me. photos available.
my email:gmail.com|eli.lee134
Apr 2, 2012 17:31
  • WANHU
RMB12000 including tax? For RMB12000 you can live in Guangzhou cosily, but to save money and bring back to Ireland, you have to know that it's just around 1000 Punt per month. Your teaching of 40 hours per week (I presume) is quite taxing as you need to prepare the lessons too as well as grading papers.

House (room) rent is about RMB1500-2000, food about RMB3000 (RMB100/day), transport etc. I think you'd be spending about RMB6000 per month. If you think saving RMB3000 per month is OK, then you can accept the job. After all, you'll be teaching on weekends and evenings, and if time and situation permit, you can also do extra tuition. Life in Guangzhou is quite interesting, and I'm sure a lot of local people are ever willing to assist. Just a food for thought.
Wan

Apr 7, 2012 04:15
GUEST48152 hi there ...
my name is gaith i am jordanian 26 y male , i have been living in guangzhou
since 2008 , i speak fluent english and arabic and good mandrin .
i am searching for home mate . if some body intersted please email me :
live.com|stepchina

by the way i am senior manager in machine design company
Post a Reply to: Moving from Ireland to Guangzhou to teach English
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code