Menu
A high school student criticizes China education at the flag raising ceremony. What do you think?
Apr 12, 2012 02:09
  • JIMMYB
Voting without time limit
Exclusive Vote
  1. 9 vote(s)
  2. 1 vote(s)
  3. 1 vote(s)
Note: Guest voter(s) are not displayed here.
The exam-oriented education in China has been criticized a lot by both educators and students. However, nothing has changed so far.

On April 9, Jiang Chengbo, a high school student, took a chance to criticize China education under the national flag after the flag raising ceremony. He should have given his speech examined by his teacher. However, he changed his speech and criticized China education in front of more than 3000 teachers and students at his school.

“What can we learn from the disoriented Chinese education? What can we do even if we enter the college and find a job after graduation? ........We are not machines. The school shouldn’t have used us as a tool to win high rates of admission into colleges even if we were tools. We should not study hard to fulfill our parents’ dreams. Instead, we should have our own dreams…….”

In his seven-minute long speech, he spoke out how he was dissatisfied with current Chinese education. The teachers and students standing in front of him were all shocked. But no one interrupted his speech. The teachers allowed him to finish his speech.

“The school authorities criticized him for making inappropriate speech in appropriate circumstances but didn’t take any further actions to punish him. At that time, we could have cut off the electricity to interrupt his speech. However, we did nothing but allowed him to finish his speech, trying not to hurt his ego.”, according to the vice president of the middle school.

According to Jiang’s teachers, he is an excellent and disciplined student. Last year, he won the first prize at the poem reciting competition. Before giving his speech, he gave his speech to his teacher. His teacher gave him some suggestions and guidance. No one knew that he would have changed his speech.

Jiang Chengbo is brave. He dares to citizen China education in front of more than 3000 people. What do you think of this guy?
Apr 14, 2012 01:51
  • RAINDROP
I am happy that he wasn't punished for his behavior. I I did the same thing when I was in high school, I would have been kicked out of my school. I was just told to study hard, enter a good college, find a good job after graduation, get married with a girl and then have a baby. My life was already designed by my parents and teachers.

It's time to start education reform. Remember that there is no Chinese citizen who wins the Nobel prize after 1949.
Apr 15, 2012 11:00
  • WANHU
Why should he be punished when it's only a differ in opinion?
Wan
Apr 16, 2012 22:14
  • JIMMYB
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU

Why should he be punished when it's only a differ in opinion?
Wan

Wan, you are not a Chinese so that you do not know much about China education. He might be punished because he criticized exam-oriented education. He said something that he shouldn't have said.
Apr 20, 2012 06:35
  • WANHU
It's not Chinese education, it's rather the rules that govern.
Wan
Apr 20, 2012 07:10
  • ATTA_BUTT
I think excellent students shouldn’t allow having their different opinion on education system in front of community gathering either in school or college for their satisfaction. Education system must have restriction for good achievement.
Last edited by ATTA_BUTT: Apr 20, 2012 07:13
Apr 20, 2012 21:08
  • JIMMYB
Quote:

Originally Posted by ATTA_BUTT

I think excellent students shouldn’t allow having their different opinion on education system in front of community gathering either in school or college for their satisfaction. Education system must have restriction for good achievement.

Atta, what kind of achievements do you expect from the exam-oriented education system? High score? Chinese students are very good at exams but they are not creative. If the education was successful, there should have been some Chinese who won the Nobel Prize.
Apr 21, 2012 04:29
  • ATTA_BUTT
Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMMYB

Atta, what kind of achievements do you expect from the exam-oriented education system? High score? Chinese students are very good at exams but they are not creative. If the education was successful, there should have been some Chinese who won the Nobel Prize.

By this way students can achieve Unity, Faith and discipline.
Apr 23, 2012 22:44
  • JIMMYB
Quote:

By this way students can achieve Unity, Faith and discipline.

Then they are all "robots". Chinese students need to improve their creativity.
May 1, 2012 05:38
  • ATTA_BUTT
Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMMYB

Then they are all "robots". Chinese students need to improve their creativity.

What you know about creativity?
May 1, 2012 22:12
  • JIMMYB
Quote:

What you know about creativity?

Atta, do you know why there are so many fake things in China? That's because Chinese people are very lack of creativity. We can not make them. As a result, we copy them from the makers. It's a shame.
Page 1 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: A high school student criticizes China education at the flag raising ceremony. What do you think?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code