Menu
Safety in Shenzhen
Apr 20, 2005 03:01
  • LHHY
Another question here....

I've heard and read about kidnapping and day light robbery cases in Shenzhen are quite common...

As I will be a lone female traveller, first time to Shenzhen - I hope someone could highlight if there are specific areas or things I should take precaution.

Also, what will be the best mode of travel (buses, MRTs etc.) for

a) within Futian area?
b) from Futian to Lowu? How many minutes drive by cab or bus?

Thanks again!

Apr 20, 2005 08:39
  • MERMAID
Dongmen area is prosperous and bustling but also dangerous.
Apr 22, 2005 02:34
  • LHHY
Thanks for the tip!! Will take note.
Apr 23, 2005 11:27
  • TPARKER
For your first time in ShenZhen I would probably avoid the
busses - with the terrible traffic it won't be worthwhile anyways,
and isn't much cheaper than the MTR.

FuTian district is right next to Lo Wo - it's a very short hop on
the taxi, and only a few stops on the underground depending
where you want to go. You might as well stick to the subway.

ShenZhen is comparatively dodgy to the rest of China - I guess
they prey on the supposed 'rich' people coming up from Hong
Kong. But still... in the large scheme of things it's still quite safe.
It's not quite Baghdad.
Apr 24, 2005 05:31
  • LHHY
Thank you!

Are there places to shop at Futian area?
Sep 10, 2009 11:01
GUEST37208 I hear that due to the recession of 2009 it is not so safe in Shenzhen.
Bag snatching directly as you are carrying! (can set his on youtube) stabbings and heaps of gangs of pick-pocketing. also no -go areas especially at night due to the apparent high amount of unemployed laborers looking for work,
Can anyone clarify this?
Oct 19, 2009 07:31
GUEST17073 Just visited shenzhen this weekend..felt relatively unsafe. Experienced the children selling flowers that latch onto you leg and wont let go unless you get someone else to help you pull them of or give them moeny. Beggers were prevalent and presistent following us blocks and blocks...Hooks under tables for bags etc..My boss had her phone taken she is a local Hong Kong woman and says it isnt safe. Be careful by yourself. Keep your eyes open!
Oct 20, 2009 05:05
GUEST95250 honestly ,each city have something darkness , but most of the time ,shenzhen is a quiet safety city ,don't worry too much , shenzhen not a tiger ,that why this city develop so quickly and become the morden city
Apr 7, 2010 08:50
GUESTGUESTLUIS Any more information on safety ? I'm a westerner with a chinese wife and have always felt OK in Shenzhen, at least in Lowu, Shekou and OCT and we are planning to move there, either in OCT or Shekou. What about safety in those areas ? Are kidnappings occuring as I read quite a bit about them but mostly about kids of poorer migrant families getting snatched in poorer parts of the city ? Is violent crime like murders happening as well ?

Basically can we count on tighter end efficient policing in the wealthier parts of town ?

lastly what is the cost for a full time bodyguard , and do you have any advice on such a service ?
Apr 8, 2010 00:42
  • WANHU
I have been to Nanshan, Bao'an (including Fuyong) a few times so I can't really say about them, but I have been to both Luohu and Futian and stay there longer. Usually I will spend my time in Shenzhen every December, between three weeks to one month (or more). Last year in 2009 I was there for 32 days. in 2007 and 2008, besides my December in Shenzhen I spent my Chinese New Year in Guangzhou.

I have met with some mishaps mostly pickpockets, but then I was not careful. I lost one Sony Cybershot digital camera in Dongmen. In Guangzhou in 2007 I lost a lot of money during Christmas Day, in Shangxiajiu guang chang, on my way to the hospital for my health treatment. But these incidents do not deter me from going to China. It happens everywhere, especially in big cities. My brother nearly got beaten by 3 youths in Manhattan for not giving them the mobilephone; in Malaysia even we have snatch thieves. Do I feel safe? Indeed I am but then I am just a poor oldman. Just be careful with our small belongings, especially wallets, handbags and other important documents. I can't vouch for others, but through my experience, Shenzhen is very safe and I walk the streets of Dongmen with my niece after 2300 many a time.

Wan
May 21, 2010 07:08
GUEST12088 I'm an American and Shenzhen, China is the safest place I've ever been in the entire world. It has a little reputation from maybe 10 years ago. I'm sure there are a few bad apples running around, but I've been here 10 times and never had anything close to a problem.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Safety in Shenzhen
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code