Menu
Not only students fight for college entrance examination, but also their families!
Jun 7, 2012 22:22
  • CHRISTINE
  • Community Moderator
What happened? People jailed? Certainly not, just kidding here. These are the parents of the examinees who take part in this year’s college entrance examination. They are waiting outside the exam rooms while their children are “fighting” there. Oh, maybe I should tell you what the college entrance examination is. It is no exaggeration to call it an event, especially for the examinees’ family, which happens every year in China from June 7th to 9th. It is the most important examination for examinees after 12 years’ hard study all the way from primary to senior high. The higher grades they get in this examination, the better college they can go. It is a quite fierce “battle” among the examinees. Poor grades? Then poor college, which leads to poor diploma, poor job, poor salary and poor life. See? This examination can shape the examinees’ whole life, although it is not always the case. No wonder their parents are paying so much attention to it. Do you have this kind of examination in your place?

Jun 8, 2012 01:31
  • WANHU
Most public universities or government owned/sponsored universities are having almost the same standard of education. How about in China?
Wan
Jun 8, 2012 02:44
  • CHRISTINE
  • Community Moderator
No, colleges and universities in China are divided into several levels. So they have their own enrollment policy, among all, the mark of this college entrance examination is the most important factor they consider. Good universities have good teachers, as well as updated teaching facility. Degree of famous university will get more chance while hunting for a job.
Jun 9, 2012 12:31
  • WANHU
It's a strange way of applying meritocracy. In my home country only private universities compete against one another and they can't compete with the public universities as the government subsidises almost 90% of the tuition fees. These private educational institutions even lower down the entrance requirements to enable students choose their majors.
Wan
Jun 9, 2012 22:34
How time flies! It's been nine years since I passed the college entrance examinations.

I should say that Chinese parents spoil their children too much nowadays. When I took part in my college entrance exams, my parents were all busy with harvesting our wheats. They had no time to accompany me. Our school just hired a shuttle bus and booked a hotel near the school where the exams were held. Of course, we paid for the cost.

Honestly, I didn't want my parents to accompany me. They had their jobs to do and I did have mine. My job was to participate in the college exams. It's lucky that I earned good marks.

I have something to tell the parents: Let your children do it alone. They are not kids anymore. If they can not handle it on their own, how can they handle their life in the future?
Jun 10, 2012 01:46
  • WANHU
You have good thought, Lonely. Maybe after I opt for my retirement I will go to college and study (what I really like).
Wan
Jul 24, 2012 03:12
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU

You have good thought, Lonely. Maybe after I opt for my retirement I will go to college and study (what I really like).
Wan

Malaysia also allows the elderly to participate in the college entrance examination?

In 2001, China abolished a rule that requires the students who participate in the college entrance examination must be below 25 years old. So the elderly can also participate in the college examination to realize their dreams of studying at colleges.
Post a Reply to: Not only students fight for college entrance examination, but also their families!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code