Menu
Should Liu Xiang retire or keep hurdling?
Aug 12, 2012 05:00
Voting without time limit
Exclusive Vote
  1. 18 vote(s)
  2. 5 vote(s)
Note: Guest voter(s) are not displayed here.
China’s Liu Xiang fell down during the 110-meter hurdles at the London Olympics. Later, he was diagnosed that his Achilles tendon was ruptured and then had a surgery in London. According to the report, the surgery was successful. His team said that Liu Xiang would have a long rest (at least four months) after he returned to Shanghai.

A Chinese doctor from Beijing said in an interview that Liu Xiang would fully recover if he chose to retire. He added that Liu might not achieve good results if he came back.

Should Liu Xiang retire or just keep hurdling?
Aug 12, 2012 12:33
GUEST17115 I voted to retire, he'll be remembered as a great hurdler.

If he comes back, he won't perform well and he'll aggravate his condition.
Aug 13, 2012 09:20
GUEST51237
I understand he was 29 years of age. If so, then he should not have participated at the London Olympics. He was simply too old for the 110m hurdles.
Aug 13, 2012 09:26
GUEST51237
At 29 years of age, he was too old for the 110 meters hurdle and should have retired instead of participating.
Aug 22, 2012 02:59
  • VANESSAZHONG
After so many gains he has, I think it's time to retire.
Aug 22, 2012 20:37
Quote:

Originally Posted by VANESSAZHONG

After so many gains he has, I think it's time to retire.

Frankly, I feel quite surprised that he quit at Beijing and London Olympics. This year, he actually achieved good results but how did he get hurt so badly?

Today, a Chinese newpaper reported that CCTV narrator already knew Liu Xiang got hurt badly before the preliminery of 110-meter hurdles. The narrator reported the news to his leader and his leader gave him some instructions. As a result, he prepared four preplans to narrate the game. When Liu Xiang fell down, the narrator sobbed and said "Liu Xiang is a fighter".

If they already knew Liu Xiang suffered sereious injury, why didn't they tell the world? Shouldn't the media tell the truth? Did they expect that God would help Liu Xiang?
Aug 22, 2012 20:45
Why didn't Liu Xiang tell us that he suffered from serious injury? Because he was afraid that we would blame him again and name him "Runner Liu". If he failed in the preliminery, he would receive less comments.

Although the operation was successful, I think that his chance to reach his old heights is too little.
Aug 29, 2012 17:21
  • HENRYINBIT
He'd better retired ,after all his best time has past
Sep 2, 2012 22:52
Liu must want to keep hurdling because he wants to prove something. But there is really no need to hurdle again. He will be 33 years old four years later. He might be too old to join the 2016 Summer Olympics.
Oct 8, 2012 22:35
  • CHERRY07
I heard that he might come back at 2012 World Championships. The government says they won't put much pressure on him. Liu Xiang himself can decide to hurdle or not.
Post a Reply to: Should Liu Xiang retire or keep hurdling?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code