Menu
5 (Harsh) Things China Can’t Live Without
Aug 15, 2012 19:23
5 (Harsh) Things China Can’t Live Without
The importance of a Hukou.

Some outsiders look at China and see a strange land with an anomalous culture and mind boggling rules, policies and laws. However, not everything is so black and white. Some of the things Chinese people do (no matter how harsh or brutal they are in foreign eyes) are not only necessary but beneficial to society. In some instances, China couldn't possibly live without some of these cultural/political institutions. Listed below are just a few of the most prominent things that appear rough on the surface but in reality make China a better place in the long run.

1) Hukous

2) The One Child Policy

3) Educational system

4) Guanxi

5) Chinese characters
Aug 18, 2012 20:49
  • NOBODY
Well, honsetly i can understand some of them. But without reason or details it's not a smart thing to post it online. Otherwise how is the Hukou useful for people? Till now i only heard of chinese complaining about it. Ect.
Aug 21, 2012 05:45
GUEST81224 The original ideas behind them were probably good at the time, but each one causes as many problems as it solves.
Aug 24, 2012 22:34
  • ENID
Hukou system is necessary as China has large number of population. It can not be replaced by other documents like passport or driver license, because not every citizen will must have them for life. Anyway, the complaining about it indicates that China still has a long way to go to improve. I think No.3 and No.4 are universal things, right? we can not live well without them in any country.
Aug 25, 2012 20:46
  • NOBODY
What is No. 4?
And you will need to explain it further why the Hukou is so important.
What does it do exactly? I only know that it's similar to a "family book" with someinformation about where you live. But an ID provides the same or similar service. And for other things you have the family register (in germany)
Aug 26, 2012 20:50
Quote:

Originally Posted by NOBODY

What is No. 4?
And you will need to explain it further why the Hukou is so important.
What does it do exactly? I only know that it's similar to a "family book" with someinformation about where you live. But an ID provides the same or similar service. And for other things you have the family register (in germany)

Guanxi means 'relation' literally. Take this for example, if you have good relation with a doctor, you will be taken good care of and enjoy some privileges. For example, you needn't queue up for a night to register in order to see the doctor.

In a word, Building good relation with someone will bring you convenience.
Aug 28, 2012 02:58
GUEST80242 Guanxi also has its more insidious side, i.e. obtaining illegal driving licenses/permits/visas, obtaining a job through your connections/family rather than skill, avoiding legal proceedings, generally circumnavigating "the system", and of course making money. :o)
Aug 31, 2012 22:01
  • RAINDROP
Yes, great explanation about Guanxi. I agree that Guanxi works everywhere in the world, but not only in China.
To Nobody, you should know that Chinese Hukou and ID are the same system. A family holds a Hukou booklet with all members' information in it, but they should have their own ID card including children age 18 or above. Also, the system allows Hukou transfer. For example, children of a family from rural area goes to college in the city, or people buy house property in other cities, they are allowed to transfer their Hukou to their new residence if they like or the city if their new residence permits. Their ID should be changed at the same time. children under 18 have no ID, so it is necessary to remain Hukou, unless China promote a well developed ID system.
Last edited by RAINDROP: Aug 31, 2012 22:02
Sep 28, 2012 22:44
  • NANCYMOON
I think No.1 and No.2 are contemporary. They may change in future, right?
Sep 29, 2012 16:36
  • NOBODY
thank you for the explanations, but i still don't know how a hukou is useful? you just said that it is the same as a ID, so why having 2 things for the same purpose?
Oct 25, 2012 22:43
  • RAINDROP
The hukou book has the function to show family combination like a family relationship certificate, but the ID has no involvement in it. BTW, the ID card is smaller and portable for daily use. In certain situation, both Hukow book and ID are required.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: 5 (Harsh) Things China Can’t Live Without
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code