Menu
The Ghost Month in Chinese Culture
Aug 30, 2012 21:58
  • RAINDROP
According to Chinese tradition, the seventh month in lunar calendar is regarded as the Ghost Month, in which ghosts come out from the nether world into this world for food. July 15th (Aug. 31st this year) is their most important day during the month and even in a whole year, which is called Ghost Day or Zhong Yuan Festival. On that day, the king of the nether world and ghosts wear their best for celebration. People in this world also celebrate the day to express their yearnings toward their deceased ancestors, by sacrificing food, sweeping ancestors' tombs, burning spirit money and floating river lanterns, etc.

Aug 31, 2012 20:38
  • MARRIE
May the deceased of my family bless us! This is the ceremony my grandparents used to give.

family gathering big dinner with the dishes and wines the deceased liked, the empty seats and dinner wears for the deceased.

Aug 31, 2012 20:41
  • MARRIE
the fake money to be burned for the deceased. May they live well and happily in another world!

Aug 31, 2012 20:56
  • RAINDROP
Yes, that is our way to yearn toward deceased ancestors. Thanks Marrie :)
Also, we have something to be avoided on that very day, like going out, or eat meat offering, staying up at night, leaning against the wall. I heard these from my mom, and I am wondering is there other tatoo for this festival?
Aug 31, 2012 21:13
  • MARRIE
Raindrop, everything can be done with good will due to the blessing from the deceased. Human is scary instead of Ghost. This is what I believe.
Sep 2, 2012 01:30
Quote:

Originally Posted by MARRIE

the fake money to be burned for the deceased. May they live well and happily in another world!

Marrie, the gold money is for the gods. This is what I have heard about.

Raindrop, there are many taboos.

No.1 When you go to bed, please do not let the toecap of your shoes point at your bed. It's said that the ghosts might get on your bed if you do it.

No.2 Remember to collect your clothes before sleeping in night. Otherwise, the ghosts might wear your clothes.

No.3 Do not collect the money on the road, especially the ones near the crossings. They are for the ghosts.

Sorry, I just remembered the above ones.
Sep 3, 2012 05:25
  • WANHU
We also have, the celebration by the local Chinese, what we call: the month of hungry ghosts.
Wan
Sep 3, 2012 15:57
  • EASTCHINASEA
LonelyJourney, In China, the customes vary among places that are only a couple of miles away from another. You probably are right. I hear that the mirror is not set on the wall that is right opposite to the bed to avoid first glance at youself in the mirror when you get up on bed...
Sep 6, 2012 22:23
  • RAINDROP
Quote:

Originally Posted by MARRIE

Raindrop, everything can be done with good will due to the blessing from the deceased. Human is scary instead of Ghost. This is what I believe.

That is so true! People are scared by themselves. I am not sure if ghosts do exist, but villains are everywhere.
Sep 6, 2012 22:29
  • RAINDROP
...do not let the toecap of your shoes point at your bed. It's said that the ghosts might get on your bed if you do it.

It is scary! maybe better to hide shoes up when sleeping. LOL

EASTCHINA SEA, the mirror can not be set on the wall right opposite to the bed, this is a rule we follow for life.
Sep 26, 2012 21:18
yeah ,ghost festival
Post a Reply to: The Ghost Month in Chinese Culture
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code