Menu
What is patriotism in your eyes?
Sep 16, 2012 00:44
Yesterday (Sept.15, 2012), anti-Japan demonstrations occurred in several cities of China. Many Chinese people appeared on the streets with slogans in their hands to protest that Japan nationalizes Diaoyu Island.

Here in Xian was a demonstration on Sept. 15, 2012. Those patriots marched from the Big Wild Goose Pagoda to the Bell Tower, the center of Xian. Some of them were very excited and angry. They broke several Japanese cars and Japanese style restaurant even though the owners were Chinese. Besides, the demonstration led to a serious traffic jam in this city. My friend told me that the public buses to the Xian Railway station stopped at the South Gate and let all the passengers get down because they couldn’t run into the city.

As a local in Xian, I felt very sad when I heard about this. Why did they break down Chinese people’s cars and restaurants? You can boycott Japanese goods to protest against Japan but you do not have the right to break other people’s properties.

Sep 16, 2012 03:46
  • CARLOS
Cynically, why are Japan and China interested in those islands? The answer is oil and gas. If someone thought people or pure patriotism without economical bonds would be the answer, wake up...

There are and there will always be people who are looking for any excuse to "self-actualize". Just look what is happening around the muslim world and all only because of some film. Perhaps the demonstrations are spontanious, but I am sure the violence is planned.

It is hard to find any real patriotism from breaking property.

"You can boycott Japanese goods to protest against Japan but you do not have the right to break other people’s properties. "
Could not agree more.

Carlos

Sep 16, 2012 13:28
  • WANHU
Demonstrations never solve any but create more problems. There are always people who want to take advantage.
Wan
Sep 16, 2012 16:23
  • MARK_81
Yes exactly Wanhu! there are too many people who jump on the protest "bandwagon" to destroy property and cause trouble. a genuine opinion based protest should be peaceful always!
Sep 16, 2012 16:27
  • MARK_81
like my music hero said: "give peace a chance"

now we need this important message more than ever
Sep 17, 2012 01:20
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU

Demonstrations never solve any but create more problems. There are always people who want to take advantage.
Wan

Right. It happened not only Xian but also some other cities. Guangzhou Poplice have already arrested several people who mobbed during the demonstration. According to the polices, those guys are idle hands. They do not have jobs.
Sep 17, 2012 06:38
GUEST77106 In the west we call it "rent a mob". Some people enjoy causing damage and destruction, they need little excuse to "demonstrate" and have no interest in the actual cause. Even legitimate peaceful protests are often turned into a riot by these people and it can happen in any country.
Sep 17, 2012 11:36
  • WANHU
In the post demonstration we'll see people start to find excuses and blaming one another. I for one, would always support any peaceful demonstration because we understand probably that's the only venue they may have to express their dissatisfaction and hoping it to be heard.
Wan
Sep 17, 2012 20:37
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU

In the post demonstration we'll see people start to find excuses and blaming one another. I for one, would always support any peaceful demonstration because we understand probably that's the only venue they may have to express their dissatisfaction and hoping it to be heard.
Wan

Wan,

In fact, HK people also launched a demonstration to protest Japan nationalizes Diaoyu Islands. They expressed their feelings at the Japanese General Consulate in HK and then left. There wasn’t a piece of litter on the street when they went away. None of them destroyed cars, restaurants or other public facilities. It is said that around 5000 people have joined the demonstration spontaneously.
Post a Reply to: What is patriotism in your eyes?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code