Menu
Ten minority Muslim ethnics in China
Oct 23, 2012 16:27
  • WANHU
With certain variants in spelling, there are articles stating that the ten Muslim minorities in China are i) Hui, Uighur, Salar (or Sala), Bao'an, Dongxiang, Uzbek, Kazakh, Khalkhas, Tajik and Tartar, ii) Kirgiz instead of Khalkhas.

I tried to find out from the internet, if Khalkhas and Kirgiz are the same, but haven't made any inroads. Appreciate it if anyone could provide clearer picture, thank you.

Wan
Oct 23, 2012 22:39
  • SUNNYDREAM
Wan,

I searched some Chinese resources. According to the resources, Khalkhas and Kirgiz are the same nationality. Kirgiz nationality is the the largest one in Republic of Kirghizstan. The Kirgiz nationality in China is called Khalkhas nationality.

Some source claims that Khalkhas is pronounced in Uighur language while Kirgiz is pronounced in Russian.
Nov 1, 2012 17:12
  • WANHU
Thanks Sunnydream. It is quite interesting to know a little bit about the 56 Chinese ethnics especially among the 10 minorities. Some of them have been used by the Russians as their pawns in the game, especially in the Ili Rebellion in 1944-49 and the birth of Autonomous Regions.
Wan
Nov 4, 2012 20:25
  • SUNNYDREAM
You are welcome. As a Chinese, I have heard about many ethnic minorities. But it is difficult for me to distinguish each other. Some minorities do have similar names, for example, Tu minority and Tujia minority.
Nov 10, 2012 00:47
  • WANHU
I know one girl who is a Tujian ethnic, now works in Beijing. To me, she just looks like a Han.
Wan
Nov 11, 2012 02:18
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU

I know one girl who is a Tujian ethnic, now works in Beijing. To me, she just looks like a Han.
Wan

Wanhu,

Some people from the ethnic minorities have been assimilated by Han people. I have a workmate who is from Tujia minority. I am pretty sure that you will take him as a Han people when you see him. You can not find any characteristics of Tujia minority on him.
Nov 12, 2012 19:34
  • WANHU
Researchers on China, such as Justin Ben-Adam thinks the 56 ethnics (55 minorities) are new creation by the new government in the post-1949 era. During the Kuomintang era (1911-1949) races are divided under five, i) Han, ii) Tibetan, iii) Manchu, iv) Mongol, and v) Muhammadan (Muslims).
Wan
Nov 13, 2012 01:20
Quote:

Researchers on China, such as Justin Ben-Adam thinks the 56 ethnics (55 minorities) are new creation by the new government in the post-1949 era. During the Kuomintang era (1911-1949) races are divided under five, i) Han, ii) Tibetan, iii) Manchu, iv) Mongol, and v) Muhammadan (Muslims).
Wan

I knew that the norm of 56 ethnic groups are created after the foundtation of PRC. But never heard that there were jsut five races in the era of Kuomintang.

Thanks for sharing this, Wan.
Nov 21, 2012 22:22
  • WANHU
If a Mongol married a Han and the son married an Uyghur, they had two children, one married a Tibetan and another married a Bonan. What ethnic shall the grandchildren be? It will create new ethnic(s).
Wan
Nov 25, 2012 21:29
Quote:

If a Mongol married a Han and the son married an Uyghur, they had two children, one married a Tibetan and another married a Bonan. What ethnic shall the grandchildren be? It will create new ethnic(s).
Wan

Wan, it's really a problem. New ethnic(s) are not created but their parents will be very annoyed. Two years ago, I had a Muslim colleague. She told me that one of her friends (she is a Muslim) got married with a Han Chinese and had a baby soon. They two quarreled on their baby's nationality. The girl insisted on having their baby's nationality as Hui but her husband didn't agree.

You know, the girl wanted their baby to be a Hui Chinese because children from ethnic groups enjoyed preferential policies. For example, they can get 10 or 20 points as "discount" when they are entrolled to colleges. If the college sets the passing mark 470 points, the students from ethnic groups just need to reach 450 points because of the preferntial policies.

My Muslim colleague didn't tell me which nationality her frien chosed fro her baby because she resigned immediately after telling me her friend's story. Thus, I don't know whether they reached an agreement finally.
Nov 27, 2012 02:07
  • WANHU
You mean 56 ethnics in China existed by themselves?
Why bicker on the status of ethnicity? What happens if she marries an American, will the baby become Huican? Or Amerihui? I suppose ethnic problems happen only in Mainland China. In Malaysia there are about 35% Chinese and we don't classify them under ethnic but race. Like Malaysia, we have Arab-Malay, Javanese-Malay, Mandailing-Malay but all of them are Malays, in their national ID.
Wan
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Ten minority Muslim ethnics in China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code