Menu
A Guide to use toilets in China
Oct 29, 2012 03:03
  • SUNNYDREAM
Western style toilets can be easily found in China nowadays, for example, in the airports. hotels in big cities. However, there are still many squatting type toilets. If you plan to travel in China, be prepared for the situation when you use squatting type toilet. Actually, it is not difficult to use this kind of toilet. The following are some tips.

No.1 Bring your own toilet papers. Once a while, there were free toilet papers in the toilets. But Chinese people preferred to bring the toilet paper back home. Thus, the toilet papers are not offered anymore.

If possible, bring your own hand sanitizer because some toilets have wash basins. But there is no soap or sanitizers.

No.2 Make your plan A. You have to be prepared for any emergency during your traveling. Sometimes, you won’t find any comfortable toilet during your journey. Thus, better to use the toilets before you get on the tourist bus.

No.3 Make your plan B. Think about where you are going to and where you are going to take a rest on the way. In big cities, there are some international chain hotels, high-end restaurants, fast food restaurants like KFC or McDonald’s and shopping malls. You can find clean and comfortable toilets there. Also toilet tissue and soap are offered.

Please avoid the pubic toilets on the road and in the supermarkets or tourist sites. Although the conditions have been improved a lot, they might disappoint you because many other people have used the toilets. As a result, the sanitary conditions are too worse.

No.4 Do not bring any other stuff like bag into the toilet and better ask your friend to take care of your belongings. Why? You won’t find a place to hang your bag or clothes in the toilet. Sometimes, you will realize that you will need another hand. You grasp toilet paper in one hand and use the other hand to push the door. Why? The lock on the door is broken.

No.5 Queuing up for the toilets. It usually happens in women’s restrooms. Women spend more time than men in the toilets. Once I saw in person that some girls occupy man’s restroom to answer the nature’s call.

Tip 1: Stand in front of a squatting toilet and don’t move. If you find it is not a western style toilet, forget about your western style toilet and use it. Otherwise, you will have to line up again.

Tip 2: Look at the lock on the door of the toilet. If you see ‘red’, it means there is someone inside the toilet. If you see ‘green’, it means the toilet is empty.

No. 6 Take care of your trousers. It is wet in the toilets. Your trousers might get dirty. Pull up your trouser legs if you don’t want to clean your trousers immediately.
Oct 29, 2012 03:03
  • SUNNYDREAM
No. 7. Squatting. You may not be used to squat in the squatting type toilet. Well, it is not as difficult as you imagine. Remember to pull your trouser legs before you squat. In this case, your trouser won’t kiss the dirty floor.

No. 8 Don’t discard the toilet paper into the closet or the squatting plate directly. If you do it, you may make the tunnel jammed. Usually, there is a dustbin in the toilet. Throw the toilet paper into the dustbin and never turn around to see the dustbin if you don’t want to vomit. Why? The dustbin is full of used toilet paper.

Finally, you finish up in the squatting style toilet, pull down your trouser legs, wash your hands and dry them up if there is hand-dryer. Then leave there as soon as you can.

Sorry, I forget the most important thing. Some toilets in the remote areas are stinky and filthy. Be well prepared if you travel in the remote areas because you will encounter them there.
Oct 29, 2012 13:55
  • WANHU
Dear Sunnydream, you forget to inform for those old men with joint problems or with stomachs too heavy to carry, squatting could be hazardous to them.
Wan
Oct 29, 2012 21:59
  • SUNNYDREAM
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU

Dear Sunnydream, you forget to inform for those old men with joint problems or with stomachs too heavy to carry, squatting could be hazardous to them.
Wan

That's why I said "Make your plan A and B". By the way, most toilets in restaurants and hotels do offer special toilets to old people, pregnant women and small kids. Even they have lower wash basin for the kids.

Well, if you travel in remote area, you won't encounter toilets like those in the hotels and restaurants.
Nov 10, 2012 07:07
GUEST95106 I've seen some interesting toilets during my travels in China. One public toilet was situated over a small stream/drain. Inside there were no cubicles simply a raised communal concrete platform with a gap running down the centre over the stream.......and a rail to steady yourself :)
Nov 11, 2012 00:28
  • WANHU
Only to urinate?
Wan
Nov 11, 2012 01:47
Quote:

Originally Posted by GUEST95106

I've seen some interesting toilets during my travels in China. One public toilet was situated over a small stream/drain. Inside there were no cubicles simply a raised communal concrete platform with a gap running down the centre over the stream.......and a rail to steady yourself :)

I guess you see this kind toilet in some railway stations. I was a bit shocked when I used it in the Xian Railway Station. I squatted for a second. Suddenly, the water started to flush the wastes in the 'stream'.

Wan,

It is not only for urination but also for defecation.
Nov 11, 2012 07:10
GUEST72111
Quote:

Only to urinate?
Wan

Ummm..........no !
Nov 12, 2012 17:34
  • WANHU
Wow! May be it's better than the ordinary toilet that always gets clogged if heavily used.
Wan
Nov 13, 2012 01:08
Quote:

Wow! May be it's better than the ordinary toilet that always gets clogged if heavily used.
Wan

Well, you needn't worry about "clog" but you really have to bear the stinky smell.
Nov 14, 2012 22:14
  • WANHU
I have been to railway stations but haven't had the opportunity to use the toilets. So far most airport toilets are OK. Passengers have the options either to use squatting or sitting bowls or the standing urinal.
Wan
Page 1 of 5    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: A Guide to use toilets in China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code