Menu
Do you agree on including mahjong into World’s Intangible Cultural Heritage List?
Oct 30, 2012 04:19
  • JIMMYB
Voting without time limit
Exclusive Vote
  1. 14 vote(s)
  2. 7 vote(s)
  3. 6 vote(s)
Note: Guest voter(s) are not displayed here.
The 3th World’s Mahjong Championship came to its end in Chongqing. Mahjong masters from all over the world joined this session. At last, China’s Jiao Linghua successfully defends the Individual Champion. Congratulations to her!

It seems that many foreigners are interested in play mahjong. Otherwise, they won’t come to China to join the championship. After the championship, the secretary of the World Mahjong Organization advocates that mahjong should be included into World’s Intangible Cultural Heritage List as soon as possible.

What do you think?

The woman in red is the individual winner.

Nov 1, 2012 01:16
What are the cultural heritage? Mahjong isn't endangered. Instead, there are many people who entertain themselves by playing mahjong. Some more even use it as a gambling tool.

One day, if it is going to disappear, then we may consider including mahjong to the World's Intangible Cultural Heritage List.

If mahjong can be included into the list, I think dice should be included too.
Nov 6, 2012 01:17
  • WANHU
Lonely, cultural heritage doesn't mean something becomes endangered but rather cultural inheritance or tradition of certain community, society or race. I agree that mahjong is a gambling tool, so if this depicts that gambling is part of Chinese culture, then it should be conserved and be part of the cultural heritage. Blackjack, poker, etc are never as part of the cultural heritage in the West.
Wan
Nov 6, 2012 20:28
Wan,

I just think that some people are out of their minds. You know, recently a craze for UNESCO's Culture Heritage List. Then towers and pavillions in China plan to compete for being included in UNESCO's Culture Heritage List. Bell and Drum Towers are included in the ten towers and pavillions.

You know why? Some people believe that being included in UNESCO's Culture Heritage List can make the scenic areas more famous and bring more money. Another good excuse to increase the entrance fees.
Nov 8, 2012 21:42
  • GLOOMYSUNDAY
Jim, I am wondering how she won this to be champion! How long they have played around the table? As we know, playing mahjong does not depend on the skill only, but also the moderate luck if she has a winning hand. According to my experience, it has something to do with the direction when you take the seat.
Nov 10, 2012 04:05
  • WANHU
Lonely, a lot of things can be included as cultural heritage under UNESCO but putting mahjong as a cultural heritage means Chinese and gambling are inseparable. Perhaps they can tell the whole world that gambling is part and parcel of their lives. In the West, especially in USA even before the civil war, the did play poker, blackjack and others, while La Vegas is world renowned haven for punters and gamblers, but never include as their cultural heritage.
Wan
Nov 10, 2012 13:30
  • DAVEC
I love the game. I cant see it disappearing any time in the future
Nov 11, 2012 00:43
  • JIMMYB
Sunday,

I am sorry that I don't know how she won the games. She might have good luck but I believe that her skills play the most important role. You know, some people can memorize where the 'tiles' are placed. Also they can calculate very well. These people have better opportunity to win mahjong games. I am not sure if she is one of these people.
Nov 11, 2012 00:48
Wan,

It's hard to tell. Some people play mahjong for fun while some others do play mahjong for gamble. The best way is "leave mahjong alone". We do not encourage people to play mahjong and we also don't stop people playing it. Actually, gambling is illegal in China. But I haven't seen any guy in my village is caught when they play mahjong.
Nov 11, 2012 00:50
Quote:

Originally Posted by DAVEC

I love the game. I cant see it disappearing any time in the future

Haha, who taught you to play mahjong? Your wife? I can play mahjong but never play it for money.
Post a Reply to: Do you agree on including mahjong into World’s Intangible Cultural Heritage List?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code