Menu
How long does it take from your home to your office?
Nov 5, 2012 00:45
  • SUNNYDREAM
According to 2012 China Modern Urbanization Report, it takes 52 minutes (on average) from home to office in Beijing. In Guangzhou, 48 minutes and 47 minutes in Shanghai. The more modern the city is, the longer time it takes from home to office. People in Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou have to spend longer time on their way to office than other cities.

I guess the report isn’t accurate. I don’t remember when Xian has become a crowded city. Every night, the roads are overloaded when people go back home.. I am lucky because I take reverse route compared with other people.

When they jam into the buses that head for Xian High-Tech Zone, I take bus to get out of the High-Tech Zone to reach my office. When they are off work, again, they have to jam into the buses and leave the High-Tech Zone in order to get back home. I take reverse route to get back home.

Usually, it takes me around 20 minutes to reach my office from home, and vice versa. What about you? How long does it take from your home to your office?
Nov 5, 2012 08:43
  • WANHU
Most cities in China have good public transport and we don't thus I have to commute everyday by car from Putrajaya to Kuala Lumpur, about 45km. If I started from my home at 6.45 am I will arrive my office at 7.15 am, if I started at 7.00 am I will arrive my office at 8 am, but if I started at 7.15 am I will arrive office around 9.15 am.

Going home from office, I need to start immediately from 5.00 pm, that will arrive home around 6.30 pm. If going back after 5.15 pm I will arrive home at 8.00 pm or so. If it rains, then I can't expect much, maybe 10 pm will arrive home.

Wan
Nov 5, 2012 21:27
When I lived in the dorm offered by my company, I just walked to the company and got back on foot after work. It took 6-7 minutes. Later, I moved to a new dorm which was a bit far from the company. It took me 25-30 minutes on foot.

Now I rent an apartment. I go to work and get back home by bus. If I leave home at 07:30, I can easily get on the bus and arrive at my office at 08:00. If I leave at 07:40, I will arrive at 08:10. If I leave at 07:45, I will be probably late because there are too many people at the bus stop and many cars on the road.

If I leave my office at 18:00, I might catch the bus and get back home around 18:30. If I leave around 18:10, I will be back on 18:50.

During rainy days, the buses never arrive at the bus stop on time. I remembered I waited for nearly 1 hour at the bus stop and finally got back home at 17:15.

The worst experience was in winter 2010. Our city was attacked by heavy snow. My friends invited me to have dinner with him. I waited at the bus stop for 1 hour and finally got on. Unfortunately, traffic jam was caused by the snow. Our bus stop moved about 400 meters just in 30 minutes. Many passengers got off. Five minutes later, the bus moved but stopped again after passing two bus stops.

Other passengers and I went mad. We asked the driver to open the door and let us down. The driver did as we said. Then I walked to the restaurant after passing by 3 stops. My friends already ordered food and started eating. They couldn’t wait for me any more because they already waited for 1.5 hours.

After dinner, we went to watch a movie. It was 23:04 when we got out of the cinema. There was no empty taxi on the road. A friend of mine walked about 1 kilometers in snow and finally catched a taxi. It was 00:15 when we arrived at my dorm.
Post a Reply to: How long does it take from your home to your office?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code