Menu
Are you willing to do shopping at the tourist sites?
Nov 21, 2012 01:13
Voting without time limit
Exclusive Vote
  1. 85 vote(s)
  2. 75 vote(s)
Note: Guest voter(s) are not displayed here.
Today, I read a piece of news, which says some travel agencies in Wuhan refuse to receive tourists who were born in late 1980s. According to Miss Zhang who works for a travel agency in Wuhan, those who were born in late 1980s usually use search engines to compare the tour agencies and their itineraries before joining the tour. On the other hand, they seldom do shopping at the tourist sites. Then the travel agencies can’t gain profit from them.

Actually I seldom join any tour group because I am a miser who can’t afford to buy expensive but unnecessary articles at the tourist sites. Thus, I choose to travel alone or with my friends. I arrange the itinerary on my own and enjoy much more freedom during my journey. This is enough!

What about you? Are you willing to go shopping at the tourist sites?
Nov 26, 2012 21:06
  • WANHU
I did except in China and Thailand because majority of the tour guides in both countries will introduce certain shops where they will get some commissions from the proprietors. We the tourists have to bear the cost(s).

You know, Lonely, one time I did employ one interpreter as he said he had the experience of impromptu translations for the past 10 years. Taking for granted, I chose him because of his good resume as well as the occasion was in the evening. How unfortunate, I had to let him go after one evening instead of three, because he kept on checking words from his electronic dictionary. I told him, he may know his way to certain business establishments, how to arrange for freights and shipping, etc, but impromptu translation is an art, and need to know the subject of discussions.

Wan
Nov 26, 2012 21:53
  • MARRIE
Mr. Wan,

I believe you are a veteran traveller that goes around Thailand and Souteast Asia specifically gold triangle areas. It surprises me that you still need translator on business?

M.
Dec 9, 2012 20:50
Dear Wan,

Simultaneous or impromptu translation is very difficult. Professional interpreters who do this kind of job can make good fortune. But there are not as many simultaneous interpreters as enough to meet people's needs.

I am not sure if you notice the interpreter beside the top leaders. These guys are elites.

Dec 10, 2012 21:46
GUESTMARIA Lonely, I guess only in UN convention that simultaneous translators are needed. They are really elites...
Dec 11, 2012 20:58
Quote:

Originally Posted by GUESTMARIA

Lonely, I guess only in UN convention that simultaneous translators are needed. They are really elites...

Yes. Language is an art. To achieve in 'art', you must have some talents and practice.
Dec 19, 2012 01:15
  • WANHU
Quote:

Originally Posted by MARRIE

Mr. Wan,

I believe you are a veteran traveller that goes around Thailand and Souteast Asia specifically gold triangle areas. It surprises me that you still need translator on business?

M.

Dear Marrie, I may be a veteran traveller but there are times we need translator(s) especially meeting with some academicians. I may understand a few Thai words but to express our intention we need a language we know best. I express better with my native language and using English is a struggle especially with some technical jargons.
Wan
Dec 19, 2012 19:55
Daily communication is easy. Meetings and academic lectures are difficult. You can express your ideas clearly in your native language. But it is difficult to let others understand if you express them in foreign languages.
Dec 19, 2012 22:30
GUESTMARIA
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU View Post

Dear Marrie, I may be a veteran traveller but there are times we need translator(s) especially meeting with some academicians. I may understand a few Thai words but to express our intention we need a language we know best. I express better with my native language and using English is a struggle especially with some technical jargons.[...

Mr. Wanhu, i used to flip into an ENglish blogging with insurance theme . its an elegant blogging and the blogger named himself a malaysian. My guess thou he is a native English speaker who does the marketing by way of giving artistic wordings painting on what he intends to offer...probably he cannot get into how insurance works mathematcally or technically, but fresh style of blogging brings up the base where it is intended to start off...When it comes to two languages, its much harder . In addition to master two languages. .professional kowledge in specific field is requied as well...

Dec 27, 2012 10:47
  • MARK_81
haha well I just spent a week in China and I really prefer to do all the exploring by myself! I did when I first visit there get help though cause my spoken Chinese was basically non-existent back then! lol so ya it was helpful to me.

funny thing happened, I was waiting for my wife in front of the tourist shop with my headphones on blasting the B-52s- my favourite group when suddenly an american tourist approached me and asked if I was the tour guide! haha
Dec 27, 2012 21:16
  • SUNILSHARMA
No.I won'r.it is expensive than other place.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Are you willing to do shopping at the tourist sites?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code