Menu
Is it a trashy picture?
Dec 5, 2012 21:36
Voting without time limit
Exclusive Vote
  1. 8 vote(s)
  2. 12 vote(s)
Note: Guest voter(s) are not displayed here.
The New York Post uses a shocking photo taken by a freelance photographer as cover, which is causing outrage among readers and professional journalists.

In a picture, a man is trying to pull himself up to the platform when a train is moving toward him. This man was dead already after being hit by the train.

Many people condemns the photographer for not trying to help the man. The photographer explains that he used the flash on his camera to warn the train driver. Well, most people didn't believe him and criticized him for not offering help to the victim.

As a photographer, he is crazy for taking amazing pictures. But he is a human. At that moment, he should have done something to help the man. Right?

What do you think of the picture?

Last edited by LONELYJOURNEY: Dec 5, 2012 21:37
Dec 9, 2012 20:12
  • BBQQ
It is much easier said than done. If you were the photographer, would you dare run into the train and pull that guy up to the platform? Wouldn't you feel afraid if you might be hit by the train?

I don't blame him for not saving the man. But he shouldn't have sold the picture to the newspaper in order to earn some money.

He reminds me of a guy who once took a picture of a skinny girl and a vulture. The vulture stares at the skinny girl, probably waiting her death so that it can eat her body. Thanks to this picture, the photographer won the Pulitzer Prize. But he committed suicide in 1994 because he couldn't stand the criticism from the public. They doubt why he didn't save the girl.

He once explained that he was about to board the plane before he took the picture. Suddenly, he saw the vulture and the little girl. Then he turned around, took a picture and then entered the plane.

Could the girl survive if he gave some water and food to her? I guess "No". She may sustain for one or two days. But what happened after she consumed the water and food? The photographer could have taken the girl to someone who could take care of her. Maybe. But he left for some reasons.
Dec 10, 2012 18:37
  • LARRY_BOY
Blood is on the hands of the man who sold the photo. No attempt at all was made to even go near the man on the tracks ,, but yet he has enough time to think of himself to take a photo.
Dec 10, 2012 22:08
  • MARRIE
Quote:

Originally Posted by LARRY_BOY

Blood is on the hands of the man who sold the photo. No attempt at all was made to even go near the man on the tracks ,, but yet he has enough time to think of himself to take a photo.

This is supply and demand, human nature, some blooody hands were exposed and some were not...probably some persons in the same trade with the photographer would give protective explanations because they need to live a life for them , their children and their wifes...the world is not that perfet..BUT persons ARE different in terms of moral levels...
Dec 11, 2012 20:43
  • BBQQ
So the photographer should kill himself like the guy who took the picture of the vulture and the little girl? If he really killed himself, those who codemned the photographer would have blood on their hands too.

What about other passengers? There mustn't be only one passenger (the photographer) at the station. If the photographer was blamed for that guy's death, they should be blamed too.

We can condemn the photographer for taking this picture and trading it for money. But he was not the only one who was responsible for this poor guy's death.

Why not equip safety door at the station? The New York Subway also has bloody hands.

Last edited by BBQQ: Dec 11, 2012 20:48
Dec 11, 2012 22:09
  • LARRY_BOY
Your not kidding Marrie...as Morals have fallen into the trash can.
Nov 20, 2013 21:00
BBQQ,

I am with you. It's not only the photographers but also the subway corp should be blamed. Why can't they equip something like the glass wall to prevent the tragedy occurring again?
Last edited by LONELYJOURNEY: Nov 20, 2013 21:05
Jun 26, 2014 01:54
  • DAVEC
As much as I love my photography this is one time I would forget it and at least try to help
Jul 9, 2014 03:15
GUESTICLES Most modern subway stations at least have a barrier to stop people falling on the tracks. The fault lies with whoever is responsible for the subway stations of New York. Shame on them for not spending the money for such basic safety features. It is like line 1 of the Beijing subway. I don't understand why they have not built barriers on that. The newer lines have them.
Dec 23, 2014 18:36
  • SKYDIVER
The man who was killed is in the same position as the man who snapped the photo..Neither could do anything at that point to change what was about to happen is a New York second. The photograph was the only thing the observer could do to capture this unfortunate mans end of life. This photo can live on and only offer this man a place in history.
Post a Reply to: Is it a trashy picture?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code