Menu
Counterfeit money received at the charity bazaar!!!
Dec 11, 2012 00:42
  • JIMMYB
On Dec. 8, the 1st Guangdong Provincial international charity bazaar was held at the Zhengjia Square in Guangzhou. Consulates of Poland, Canada, Greece and other 30 countries took part in the charity bazaar. At last, more than 330,000 yuan was collected. According to the organizers, the fund will be used to refurbish the listening and speaking classrooms in a rehabilitation center in Guangzhou and buying some teaching equipment.

Unfortunately, 4900 yuan was found out to be counterfeit money. The organizer suspects that some people did it on purpose because they knew foreigners couldn’t tell whether the money was counterfeit or not.

Chinese netizens aired their opinions on this matter on the internet. Many felt ashamed because of the counterfeit money. A netizen said he would donate CNY 5000 (of course real money) to ‘save all Chinese people’s face’.

However, the former vice chief of National Bureau of Statistics of China has different opinion. In his view, those foreign consulates aim to make all Chinese lose their face. ‘Don’t we lack of 330,000 yuan? All these money are Chinese people’s money. I think those foreigners who involved in the charity bazaar are shameless. If foreigners really want to do charity, please go back to your own country and collect funds’, says he.

Yesterday, the Consulate General of Belgium in Guangzhou posted on Weibo.com that all the products they offered at the charity bazaar were sponsored by Belgian companies. “All the products are sold at the cost price. And we donate all the money we got. We spared our time and worked on Saturday to join at the charity bazaar. Why do we feel ashamed? It was the 4900 yuan counterfeit money that was shameless. ”
Dec 18, 2012 02:29
  • WANHU
Jimmy, some people just don't understand the meaning of contribution. No doubt they are selling their products but all the proceeds go to the Organiser. Thus we should appreciate with what they have done instead of having bad thoughts about them. They have sacrificed their Saturday for this occasion but someone has the gut to imply the money should have been brought from outside instead of finding ways to deal with available sources.

Does someone need to apologise for using fake Chinese currencies? No, he blames the foreigners instead.
Wan
Dec 18, 2012 21:05
GUESTMARIA wanhu, I, as Chinese, would not contribute without any knowledge on whether or not this org. is eligible as a charity body bcos there are lots illegal orgs decleared themselves as charity overseas...fortunenately, numouse western formal official medias, news paper or relavant institutional bodies provide info on the checklist on an eligible charity org...
Dec 18, 2012 23:44
  • JIMMYB
Maria,

It's normal that you have this idea. After China Red Cross Scandal, I don't believe any Chinese charity organization too no matter they are run by the state or celebrities.

I didn't make it clear. The charity bazaar was held by the Guangdong Provincial Foreign Affairs Office. It didn't make any comment after hearing this report.

‘Don’t we lack of 330,000 yuan? All these money are Chinese people’s money. I think those foreigners who involved in the charity bazaar are shameless. If foreigners really want to do charity, please go back to your own country and collect funds’,

Yes, we don’t lack of 330,000 yuan. See how luxurious those government buildings are. We don’t know how much money they have burnt. We have money to build luxurious buildings for our civil servants. But we don’t have money to improve the facilities for the disabled.

Who lose face? Chinese people and their government. The Consulate of Belgium didn’t speak it directly because they didn’t want to insult SOMEONE. As a Chinese, I felt very sorry when I heard this.
Dec 19, 2012 22:51
GUESTMARY Jimmy, i appreciate that u see this from two perspectives, putting whether or not charity is regulated aside, the social enviroment in deep south like guang dong province..hai nan province has been a great concern back more than 20 yrs ago...my impression on those deep south areas is dark filled with mobs, prostitutes n hidden social chaos although it is a little bit ahead in economic development ...

Merry Christma Jimmy

Marrie
Dec 28, 2012 11:20
  • WANHU
Quote:

Originally Posted by GUESTMARIA View Post

wanhu, I, as Chinese, would not contribute without any knowledge on whether or not this org. is eligible as a charity body bcos there are lots illegal orgs decleared themselves as charity overseas...fortunenately, numouse western formal official medias, news paper or relavant institutional bodies provide info on the checklist on an eligible charity...

You won't be contributing anything, you will be buying things. You may choose not to buy. Only these foreign companies promised to contribute to the organiser of all the proceeds, that's what I understood from Jimmy's, unless GD Provincial Foreign Affairs office is a fake organisation.
Wan
Dec 30, 2012 02:45
  • JIMMYB
GUESTMARY,

More and more scandals or rumors about those charity organizations (no matter they are state-run or private entities) have been reported.

A few days ago, CHINA CHARITIES AID FOUNDATION FOR CHILDREN has been disclosed that there is something wrong with their account. The organization explained that their accountants made mistakes when making the statement.

Later, some people required the organization to disclose their bank statements and accounting records. The org. agreed but finally broke their promise. Jackie Chan's foundation was involved.

As an ordinary man, I can not figure out who is right, who is wrong. But I already made up my mind that I wouldn't donate any money to any charity organization again.
Jan 1, 2013 21:24
  • MARRIE
Jimmy, most yard sales are under the name of charity. If they give the receipt, the next doubt is how the proceeds are expensed...do u see that is wasted by those Pig Charity Employees whose jobs are chatting about the happenings . Making funs..accompanied by a couple o
Cups of coffee...it makes me think of the most inefficient Chinese state owned corps 20-30 years ago..ie..the job in the office is nothing more than a piece of news paper, a cup of tea, that's it. That's is called non profit..Nice job.. eh...besides, the proceeds from the selling help them grab money from government.. ie one by one match..More specifically.. they steal money from tax payers...

It seems like any body can launch a charity event..u never know who they n where they come from...

Jan 3, 2013 00:47
  • DAVIDLU
donations are always the embodiment of donators' benevolence. Most donators are not rich. An uncle who sells mutton strings donates most of his income to elementary schools so the kids there can have better facilities. An old man acting as driver of a dray also donated his own incomes to the schools, while he was reluctant to buy him a decent coat. Because of his career, his donations were always with coins. He began this career at 74 years old until he died at age 92. His name is Bai Fang Li, a respectable old man. It is always frustrating to think the benevolence trampled by some unscrupulous organizations. Under opaque donation systems, your benevolence might be misused without your consciousness. If someday people is willing to this, that means the society is becoming more and more democratic.
Jan 3, 2013 21:02
  • CHERRY07
In a movie, a guy run into a charity party and scold those celebrities for holding luxurious parties. Then he left. I didn't know the name of the movie.

I just can not understand why charity parties are held. At the parties, those rich guys drink wine, eat dessert and wear very formal dresses. Don't they know the party expense can save many poor kids who starve to death in Africa?

Post a Reply to: Counterfeit money received at the charity bazaar!!!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code