Menu
Foreigner buying a car in China
Jan 13, 2013 11:14
  • SPELUNKUS
Hi everyone,

My wife and I are planning to travel extensively through China this year, and we want to buy a vehicle and outfit it with a bed, stove etc.

We are trying to figure out what the legal requirements are for buying and registering a vehicle. I know I will need my Chinese driver's license, which I will get, but I cannot find reliable information about what I would need to buy a car/van.

Does anyone know more about this? Thanks.

Matt
Jan 14, 2013 05:01
  • MITCHELL
Hello, I suggest you get a driver's license in China, if you don't live in China, you can rent a car to travel, so you can save a lot of trouble, if you have further questions, you can email me, qq.com|117439039
Jan 14, 2013 06:02
  • DAVIDLU
Some of my foreign friends have their own car. The exam is easy to pass if you have driving licence already at your country. They have english version.
Jan 15, 2013 16:15
  • SPELUNKUS
Hello. Thanks for the replies.

I am definitely going to get a drivers license. I know I will need that. My concern is about buying a car.

I don't want to rent because it will be expensive and I want to modify the van so I can sleep and cook in it. Also I will drive all over China and I know there are restrictions with rentals.

Do you know whether it is necessary to have a residency permit in order to buy a vehicle in China? That is my primary concern.

Thank you,
Matt
Jan 15, 2013 19:22
  • DAVIDLU
I think no need to get a residency permit if you buy car at China, you just supply your passport. However, it is better to inquiry traffic department. The policy varys in different places at China for some places not many foreigners, maybe they are not familiar with the policy.
Jan 15, 2013 20:37
GUEST6773 SPELUNKUS,

Residential Permit is not needed but valid passport is a must. But some cities may have restrictions. Take Beijing for example, foreigners have to offer valid document (passport) and live at least one year in Beijing. Then you are qualified to join the license-plate lottery. If you are lucky, you can get a license and then buy a car. If you buy a car first and don't get your license, you can not drive on the road.

Thus, I suggest you buy your car in a city where the license-plate lottery policy hasn't bee implemented. In this way, you can buy your car first and ask the car 4S shop to buy the insurance and register your car.
Jan 16, 2013 01:12
  • DODGER
SPELUNKUS,
To legally tow a caravan or any trailer in china you will need a truck license.

Cheers, Dodger.
Jan 16, 2013 20:46
GUEST7548 SPELUNKUS,

It is not easy to travel around China in a caravan. Many attraction sites don't have ancillary facilities for the caravan.
Jan 17, 2013 08:15
  • MITCHELL
which city you living? each city policy are not the same, you tell me, I help you to consult, and then tell you whether you can buy a car
Jan 21, 2013 16:55
  • SPELUNKUS
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I am planning to buy a regular van and put a bed and stove (and a good lock) in it. I don't need to tow anything, and it would only take up one regular parking spot.

I have not picked the place we will live yet. Because buying a car is so important, we would be ready to pick the place based on how easy it is to buy a van.

I have also heard that you need a permit to drive in certain cities. Is this true? We are hoping to be able to drive in many places and don't know what kinds of restrictions there might be. If you know of any please tell me.

Thank you,
Matt
Jan 22, 2013 02:38
  • DODGER
Matt, Beijing has a lottery for car registration plates and has plate number restrictions for certain days.
I have no knowledge of other cities.
I’ve driven from Beijing to Kashgar and back and did some camping on the way.
Camping can be problematic if you don’t use an established camping site, of which there are few, as it’s a relatively new pass time in China.
Good luck, Dodger.
Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Foreigner buying a car in China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code