Menu
Chinese New Year at Guangzhou
Feb 1, 2013 20:59
  • DAVIDLU
The Annual Flower Fair of the Spring Festival (COPY)
Guangzhou is also called the Flower City. It is said, that people have made a living by planting flowers for a thousand years. The annual Flower Fair of the Spring Festival has become a grand affair in Guangzhou. When there is half a month to go before the Festival, many flower shows are held in some pedestrian streets or parks to attract citizens. Farmers from around the Pearl River Delta bring their best works to the fairs looking forward to a reward for their hard work over the year

Feb 1, 2013 21:03
  • DAVIDLU
Lion Performance(copy)
Lion dances, Dragon dances and Firework displays are considered necessary for Lunar New Year. On Chu Yi (first day of Lunar New Year), a large-scale firework display will take place on the Pearl River to celebrate the big event. The spectacle will be broadcast live via television across the city.

Feb 1, 2013 21:05
  • DAVIDLU
Cai Qing 采青--Picking the Greens

(copy)
Cai Qing, also known as Picking the Greens, is a tradition in Guangzhou especially during the Lunar New Year.

Shops and stores usually open to business on the second day of the Lunar New Year. During that day, owners of the shop will tie a red envelope filled with money to a head of lettuce and hang it high above the front door. "Lions" dance in front of the door to catch the lettuces and the lucky package. Cai Qing supposedly brings good luck and fortune to the business and the dancers receive the money in the envelop as payment.

Feb 1, 2013 21:09
  • DAVIDLU
Cai Qing can be divided into many different kinds like Cai Gao Qing (pick the lettuces in a high place), Cai Di Qing (pick the leaves on the ground), Cai Shui Qing (pick the leaves in a basin of water) and Cai Qiao Qing (chairs are piled up as a bridge, and the "lion" picks the lettuces hung under the bridge).

Cai Gao Qing is the most difficult of all. Two dancers (sometimes three or four) stand on each other's shoulders and the "Lion" dances while climbing a long bamboo to pick the lettuces hung on top.

The annual Cai Qing ceremony has a history of hundreds of years in Guangzhou. It is often held in some temples across the Guangdong province to impetrate good luck in the next year.

Feb 1, 2013 21:09
  • DAVIDLU
Cai di qing

Feb 21, 2013 21:14
  • GLOOMYSUNDAY
Such traditional activities for new year festival are disappearing in my city Xian. The latest time I saw lion performance was in 2008 when I visit Tang Paradise.
Feb 22, 2013 01:03
  • WANHU
We still have lion dance in Malaysia. The troupe would go from house to house to collect donations (among the Chinese of course).
Wan
Feb 26, 2013 00:29
  • JIMMYB
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU

We still have lion dance in Malaysia. The troupe would go from house to house to collect donations (among the Chinese of course).
Wan

The lion dance is unusual in my hometown. The villagers do yangko (a folk dance) on the street. When they come to your home, you set off fireworks and give them donations. It's called She Huo in Chinese.

My dad told me that the She Huo performance team on the Lantern Festival even blocked the road because many people went out to watch the performance.
Post a Reply to: Chinese New Year at Guangzhou
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code