Menu
Dry cured beef in Xian!
Feb 8, 2013 02:52
  • CHERRY07
Chinese people complain that buying train tickets is the most difficult thing. After queuing up at the ticket window for hours, you are told that the tickets are all sold out. How disappointed it is!

Actually, buying train tickets is not the most difficult thing. If you tried to queue up for buying dry cured beef in Xian, you should have known buying cured beef is more difficult than buying train ticket.

In order to buy the dry cured beef successfully, some people get up at 1:00 am and queue up in front of the shop. This is no exaggeration.

Feb 9, 2013 09:49
  • WANHU
also Peking duck in some areas, like in Guangzhou. The taste is not that I expected (looking at the long queue).
Wan
Feb 27, 2013 21:43
  • MARRYMAX
I tried Peking duck once. It's too oily and the sauce is too sweet. Definitely not my favorite.
Mar 3, 2013 08:20
  • WANHU
Quote:

Originally Posted by MARRYMAX

I tried Peking duck once. It's too oily and the sauce is too sweet. Definitely not my favorite.

People are still queuing with a long line. Thus it's true to say one's man meat is another man's poison.
Wan
Mar 5, 2013 21:33
  • MARRYMAX
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU

People are still queuing with a long line. Thus it's true to say one's man meat is another man's poison.
Wan

Agreed! Before I ate it, I thought it must be delicous because it was so popular and famous in Peking. After eating it, I thought it wasn't my type.
Mar 7, 2013 15:58
  • WANHU
Is it true that the dried cured beef at the Muslim sector is much more expensive?
Wan
Mar 26, 2013 02:38
  • CHERRY07
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU

Is it true that the dried cured beef at the Muslim sector is much more expensive?
Wan

Wan,

The dried cured beef sold in the supermarket is much more expensive than that at the Muslim sector. You know, a friend of mine once told me that I should buy beef at the Muslim sector. Muslims believes in Allah and Islam. They don't cheat their customers like those vendors on street.

Once I read that the annual beef production in China never met its people's needs. But beef is still sold everywhere. Why? Some sellers sell other animal meat as beef.
Apr 2, 2013 11:33
  • WANHU
Then I need to be careful. In December I have more time to roam China. Maybe I'll put Xi'an in my itinerary and try the cured beef prepared by the Muslim(s). Thanks Cherry for your tips.
Wan
Apr 9, 2013 01:32
  • CHERRY07
You are welcome. Make sure that you don't come when the Spring Festival is approaching. Otherwise, you need to queue up and wait for long to buy it.

Well, I actually have been to the Muslim Street near the Bell Tower many times. I never see them kill the cow/bull and sheep. Where do they buy and kill them?
Apr 17, 2013 19:15
  • WANHU
Usually during spring and summer I would be visiting the southern parts of China, especially Shenzhen and Guangzhou. Only during winter, when I have more free time, then I would roam a wider area of China, like last year, I took my annual leave from Dec 18th until January 7th. Thus I managed to visit Shanghai, Hangzhou, Beijing and Tianjin besides Hong Kong, Shenzhen and Guangzhou.

Bulls and sheep, I supposed are killed or slaughtered at the abattoir which i have seen one in Baiyun, Guangzhou. I am sure Xi'an has one too.

Wan
Apr 18, 2013 03:29
  • CHERRY07
Wan,

I thought the sheep and bulls are killed by Akhunds. They pray for the sheep before killing them and then kill them quickly.
Page 1 of 5    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Dry cured beef in Xian!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code