Menu
Can anyone help me to explain this phrase
Mar 11, 2013 22:14
  • DAVIDLU
I have to claim i don't have any political prejudice. I only have confusion when taking a glance on this phrase: abortion clinics in Ireland or Mexico.I try to check the underlying meaning , but i fail. Can anybody tell me what this phrase imply? I only want to study english.
Mar 17, 2013 19:33
  • WANHU
David, by just giving the incomplete sentence: abortion clinics in Ireland or Mexico, I can't help you either. It can be an enquiry, a statement, or a news caption.
Wan
Mar 17, 2013 19:43
GUEST15333 The phrase "abortion clinics in Ireland or Mexico" could have multiple meanings.

Both countries are majority Catholic, where abortion clinic are probably illegal. In that case, this phrase implies that illegal abortion clinic are operating in these two countries.
Mar 18, 2013 08:54
  • DAVIDLU
Ok, thanks for two of you. I got that phrase from the comment of one netizen @BBC news on topic of the conflits between Israel and Palestine. But i can't find that article any more.
Mar 21, 2013 09:03
  • WANHU
the word "or" may mean he is unsure which of the two countries. If he is sure he would use the word "and".
Wan
Mar 22, 2013 05:00
  • DAVIDLU
Wanhu: i checked Baidu about the abortion of Ireland. As GUEST15333 mentioned, abortion is illegal at Ireland. But still ten percent of the women have this kind of operation each year at the underground clinics.In assiciation with this article, i think this phrase is not an idiom. That is probably the meaning of doing something unlawful secretly. This is the way how this netizen expresses himself.Thanks again for your and other's zeal.
Last edited by DAVIDLU: Mar 22, 2013 05:03
Mar 24, 2013 23:58
  • WANHU
Oh, you thought it was an idiom?
Wan
Mar 25, 2013 21:15
  • DAVIDLU
Nope. Wanhu. This is only an individual expression, not an idiom. BTW,do you notice one lyrics sentence in the song : California Hotel as:Some dance to remember, some dance to forget. My question is why they don't use past tense as opposed to present tense.
Apr 3, 2013 23:58
GUEST09216 " BTW,do you notice one lyrics sentence in the song : California Hotel as:Some dance to remember, some dance to forget. My question is why they don't use past tense as opposed to present tense."

No need to use past tense here. Present tense is correct.
Post a Reply to: Can anyone help me to explain this phrase
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code